Remember me
Lost Password Register

Big Lake? Anyone dive there?
08-15-2013, 03:46 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2013, 09:17 AM by stick500.)
Big Lake? Anyone dive there?
I was at Game Fair (Ramsey) last week and a pro angler was giving a seminar. Afterwards he was available for questions. I asked him what were the clearest local lakes he fished and without hesitation he said Big Lake (right off the 10 in the town of Big Lake).

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has had any experience snorkeling there, or even visiting the lake.

I would like to get a little more confirmation that it might be diveable before I make the drive. According to the DNR LakeFinder it hasn't necessarily been a real clear lake in the past, at least up till 2004.
08-15-2013, 06:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2013, 06:40 PM by Hydro.)
RE: Big Lake? Anyone dive there?
i grew up around there and have been thinking of diving it for awhile... its a city lake so there's a lot of boat traffic in the summer, in the winter its clear and in the fall i recall it being decent as well

its not super vis according to lakefinder:

if you are in the area, sylvia/twin lake is better if you have a boat.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
08-16-2013, 10:33 AM,

I did a sprint triathlon there last summer. Viz was pretty poor - maybe 6 feet or so. Lots of weeds out past the beach. Maybe it's better elsewhere in the lake.

James
08-16-2013, 10:40 AM,
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
08-16-2013, 10:54 AM,

that looks kinda clear

I think I also read somewhere that some SCUBA classes take place there- anyone confirm that?

I guess I'll have my choice of shore diving Christmas Saturday or going up to Big Lake- both would be a first for me, and of course I'd like to shoot a few carp.

The last I looked at Christmas the water was pretty murky at the boat landing (only public access) but a kid there said it clears up around the bend.
08-16-2013, 12:23 PM,

Last time I was at Christmas (probably 8 years ago) I swore I would never go back. Confused The algae bloom in the middle of the summer was really bad -- maybe 2ft vis. I can't imagine it has gotten much better. I think the bad vis was due to fertilizer runoff from surrounding properties. My recommendation is to dive Christmas either early spring or late fall, once the boaters leave.
--Jason
08-18-2013, 09:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2013, 09:16 AM by stick500.)
well, I went up there Sat. around noon

vis was OK for freedive/hunting, but not for a pleasure dive

boat traffic wasn't bad and I put in right by the rocks along the 10

there were sheriffs and water patrol around, but surprisingly no one asked what I was up to! I even had my little dive flag tagging along

well, there were lots of nice-sized sunnies to look at but not much else- NO carp, a couple puny bass and no pike or musky sightings

according the to DNR LakeFinder they hardly caught any carp during the 2004 fish survey

well, at least I know about Big Lake now and unless I hear a report that a bunch of carp are in the shallows (bet the little channel between the lakes would be a hotspot in the spring) I won't be making any more trips up there

thanks for all the tips on this!