Remember me
Lost Password Register

Isle Royale Maps
04-21-2003, 02:35 PM,
Isle Royale Maps
I've got a couple dive trips planned for Isle Royale this year. I need navigational and scuba maps of the area. Does anyone know where i can purchase these maps? I searched the web but there is not alot of info on maps of the area. Thanks for your Help Jason. Smile
04-21-2003, 04:24 PM,
Re:Isle Royale Maps
I bought an Isle Royale map last year from Galyan's that worked good along with GPS coordinates from

When are you going? Last year we took two boats and was fantastic. This year we may have three going out.

Derrick
04-22-2003, 04:18 PM,
Jason;

Are you brining your own boat and doing the navigating or do you just need general locational maps for reference?

John J
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
04-22-2003, 08:17 PM,
Jason;

If you are going to be using your map for nautical navigation, I strongly suggest you get a chart that is from N.O.A.A. or at least a chart that is based on N.O.A.A. data and is intended for nautical navigation. This type of chart will show depth contours, navaigation aids, like buoys, lights, docks, etc. as well as notable visual features on land for help in navigation. N.O.A.A. chart # 14976 is a very detiled nautical navigation chart of Isle Royale. You can get it at a map store like Latitudes in St. Loius Park. (952-927-9061) Cost will be about $20. This chart will be very detailed and show all the little bays, channels and islands that you might need to see. The down side of this map is that it is pretty large (about 2 ft x 3 ft) and you have to fold it several times to make it a manageable size. it will eventually wear out along the folds. If you want a really great full set of N.O.A.A. maps that covers all of Lake Superior, get a Richardson's Chartbook for Lake Superior. Cost will be about $70 but it is a nice size that fits on your lap while you drive your boat, it's in a spiral binder, has a location index and information on marinas and harbors plus it covers all of Lake Superior. It's really an awesome book of maps that has everything you need in it for Lake Superior navigation. Another book I suggest is "The Superior Way" by Bonnie Dahl. This book has chapters dedicated to each area of the lake and while it isn't a navigation chart, it has tons of information about where anchorages and harbors are, depths at docks, local points of interest, weather conditions, navigation tricks, little known bays and inlets and all kinds of other stuff that would take a person years to learn about any given area. A very good book that I constantly refer to on trips with my boat. This book and the Richardson's Charts book can be purchased at West Marine or Boat U.S. in the twin cities as well as other places I'm sure.
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
04-23-2003, 07:45 AM,
John J,

Thanks for the info, the Richardson's Chartbook for Lake Superior sound like a book worth acquiring.
04-23-2003, 09:33 AM,
John J,

Thanks for all the information you hit the nail on the head. i'm looking at doing a couple trips up there this year with my personal boat and the maps sound great. I look forward to purchasing them. thanks for all your help.
04-23-2003, 09:36 AM,
I don't have a date set in stone. i was thinkig 3-4 trips this year one in the end of june, sometime in July, august and hopefully september. If you don't mind company i would be interested in following you out in my boat. I'm new to the Isle royale area but eager to learn more. thanks, hopefully we can meet up for a dive trip up there. jason.

04-23-2003, 02:28 PM,

That would be great if you came with. I plan on hitting the North Shore once a month during summer/fall and Isle Royale once or twice. Are you interested in doing any of the north shore wrecks, Maderia, Ely, Hesper?

How big is your boat? How many divers does it comfortably hold?

Derrick
04-23-2003, 03:25 PM,
Where else on Lake Superior do you guys go with your boats? Ever go to Copper Harbor or Munising Michigan? Some cool wrecks in these areas.

John J
04-24-2003, 01:49 PM,
We've only taken the boats to the North Shore, Maderia, Niagra, Hesper, Ely, Isle Royale and the wrecks near the Apostle Islands. Last year we had a couple of charters planned for Michigan diving, but those fell though. Once we get bored with the North Shore we will try other wreck sites.

How far is Copper Harbor and Munising from the Twin Cities? Are the wrecks in the middle of shipping lanes or very far from shore?

Derrick