Remember me
Lost Password Register

New heads-up technology
04-23-2003, 08:01 AM,
New heads-up technology
Hi all, thought we'd share some news, perhaps you've heard?

New Wireless Personal Dive Computer Evolves from Heads-Up Mask Technology Co-Developed by Oceanic WorldWide and the U.S. Navy

Oceanic Worldwide has been working closely with the U.S. Naval Sea Systems Command to develop a new scuba mask that displays critical dive data on a tiny LCD display within the mask, giving special operations divers hands-free access to information about air supply, depth and time.

The mask receives the data via a wireless transmitter unit mounted on the scuba tank's first stage regulator, which can tell a diver how many minutes of air are remaining based on the diver's breathing rate, all without cumbersome wires or hoses. The Navy's "heads-up" mask will have immediate military applications. Recreational divers may soon benefit from this jointly created technology. Oceanic is currently studying the feasibility of a consumer version of the "heads-up" mask.

Cochran Technologies tried this in the past, though some technical factors and costs overided their success. Lets hope Oceanic can work the 'bugs out'.

Don't we all wish we had the Navy's budget....that thing must be Big $$$$ right now....?!

Happy diving!
FantaSea Scuba
04-23-2003, 08:23 AM,
Re:New heads-up technology
Now that would be sweet! I'll start saving my pennies now so in a few years when it's available to us rec divers I'll be able to get one!

It would just be cool...

Thanks for the info!
04-23-2003, 08:24 AM,
This sounds pretty cool! I'm sure it wouldn't be DIR kosher ;D
04-23-2003, 08:51 AM,
No, it's more like a beer (I mean soda) holder on a riding lawnmower, not something you NEED but it's sure nice to have!

We can call this style of diving DIL (diving in leisure).
04-23-2003, 09:01 AM,
Chris, I like DIL Wink

I have a robot lawnmower, so I can sit in my chair and drink my soda while my lawn is being mowed. Now that is DIL 8)
04-23-2003, 09:08 AM,

LOL!
I think I've seen those at Home Depot... does it use a wire?
04-23-2003, 09:39 AM,
Yep, a permiter wire. It zigzags back and forth across the lawn. It learns the shape of the lawn and becomes more efficent as time passes. It isn't fast but who cares, it runs from a battery. I often run it after 11PM while watching a movie inside.

I was amazed how well it works.
04-23-2003, 10:11 AM,

I'm not sure about that. If the heads up display were simply reading depth, time, temp it would probably be a useful tool for the DIR guys -- just like a bottom timer. Now if the display obscured the diver's vision in some way I could see that being a problem.
--Jason
04-23-2003, 10:18 AM,

I'm not sure about that. If the heads up display were simply reading depth, time, temp it would probably be a useful tool for the DIR guys -- just like a bottom timer. [/quote]
Even then Jason, I think DIR will have a field day ripping on it. I can just hear GI now. Wink
04-23-2003, 11:21 AM,
It would be nice if this mask would have a feature where your computer readings would only hinder your view periodically and then disappear.