Remember me
Lost Password Register

Indian Point Ice Dive, Mille Lacs on 2-8-2014
02-10-2014, 10:37 AM,
Indian Point Ice Dive, Mille Lacs on 2-8-2014
Nate and I did an ice dive on 2-8-2014 near Indian Point on Mille Lacs Lake. The day started out sunny and clouds rolled in by the afternoon. The ice was about 34" thick where we cut the dive hole. It was a nice rocky reef about a half mile straight out from Indian Point on the lower West side. The water temp showed 32 degrees on my computer although it was probably a touch warmer than that. I did have a couple minor free flows on my regulator (that was odd). We ended up finding 5 anchors, an ice spud, and a weird aluminum cylinder about the size of an aluminum 80 cubic foot cylinder but thinner with the bottom of the cylinder missing. There were lots of crayfish and Nate chased down a large school of small perch. The sun had set before we got off the lake.
Here is a link to some of the video we took:

02-10-2014, 11:47 AM,
RE: Indian Point Ice Dive, Mille Lacs on 2-8-2014
Looks clearer there than tonka... or was it the hero+ ?
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
02-10-2014, 12:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014, 01:01 PM by Shooter.)

I'd say we had good vis, somewhere around 40'. There was some algae particles that cut it down somewhat. The best vis was by hennipen, no particles in the water. The footage you saw in the clip was both 3 and 3+. Johns 2 had battery issues and I wore the 3 on a headmount and 3+ on the pole. Its hard to keep track because we switched them around so much. As you already know, more light = better footage. I will try to compare them at some point. Here is a youtube side by side

Our 3+ footage was shot in 1080 super with the low light feature on
02-10-2014, 02:02 PM,
As far as Hennepin Island having better viz than Spirit Island or Indian Point, The DNR claims that Hennepin Island has the highest concentration of zebra mussels per square foot than any other part of the lake at over 1,300/sq ft. Mille Lacs as a whole body of water averages 1070/sq ft. It did seem that there were more at Indian point than the other two spots as this its the first time that I have seen a carpet of them on sand, and not just clinging to rocks. Either way if I went for just water clarity, I would guess the SE corner might be better.