Remember me
Lost Password Register

Spirit Island Ice Dive on 2-1-2014
02-03-2014, 07:40 AM,
Spirit Island Ice Dive on 2-1-2014
On Saturday Nathan Putbrese and I went ice diving just North of Spirit Island on Mille Lacs Lake. There was a huge pressure ridge between us and the island so we couldn't plow the rays in the snow up to the island. The bottom of the pressure ridge was cool to see but with no light coming through the rays, some of the video is dark. We saw a couple fish and Nate found an ice auger attachment. We shot lots of video, and I tried to shorten it up as much as I could but, there was a lot of structure and it was hard to cut out good footage. The edited video is about 11 minutes long. Here is a link to that video:

02-03-2014, 02:08 PM,
RE: Spirit Island Ice Dive on 2-1-2014
What was ice thickness? You running a filter? Water seems pretty blue....
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
02-03-2014, 03:14 PM,

The ice was 25" thick in most spots, but obvoiusly at the pressure ridge it was up to 12' thick counting the pile of ice above and below the surface. We are both running 'green water' filters but they are both different manufacturers. I am using a GoPro2, and Nate is using a GoPro3 and a GoPro3+.
02-03-2014, 05:35 PM,

The ice was 25" thick in most spots, but obvoiusly at the pressure ridge it was up to 12' thick counting the pile of ice above and below the surface. We are both running 'green water' filters but they are both different manufacturers. I am using a GoPro2, and Nate is using a GoPro3 and a GoPro3+.
[/quote]
The gopros really like the "rays" and the light. At the end of one of the rays we augered a hole to check depth and drop a camera. I used the auger to pump water and flood part of the ray. It really lit up the bottom at 30'! Almost all of the underwater footage was Johns 2. I was having technical difficulty with my 3 with my underwater videos the last 2 weekends. Took it back to best buy yesterday, showed them the glitches and they upgraded me to the 3+ ! AWESOME. I was a little disappointed when I saw the 3 vs the 3+ side by side less than 6 months after purchasing the black. Can't wait to try it out Big Grin
02-07-2014, 03:38 AM,
Say, Dector,
i see at around time index 240 there are two fish that shoot off. any idea what species those were? kinda look like carp or possibly eelpout.
any other fish you guys encountered at the island? looks interesting.
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
02-07-2014, 06:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2014, 06:54 AM by DetectorGuy.)

I think they were eelpout. from the back they looked too short to be pout but they had the camo pattern. We see a few tiny fish trying to hide in the rocks but not many big ones yet.