Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ore-Be-Gone Weekend
09-17-2014, 02:01 PM,
Ore-Be-Gone Weekend
Since Jason posted that Ore-Be-Gone had good vis and I've never jumped that pit I pitched a weekend idea to some buddies and they sounded interested. I told a few Chedder Heads as well so J&C told me to organize it.

This isn't any organized dive even but if a bunch of people happen to be standing on shore with scuba gear on maybe the first weekend of October, we can all jump that place and have a little 'event'.

The first weekend of October sounds good to some people so lets give that a go. Hydro, T and I are going. Shooter and Detector? And "The Sconnie's" are interested.

I don't know anything about where to camp so I could use some advice.

I don't know anything and I'm not a planner so everyone post what they know and we'll wing it.

So long as we all know when and where everyone can work out their own personal plan.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
09-17-2014, 08:23 PM,
RE: Ore-Be-Gone Weekend
SHERWOOD FOREST CAMPGROUND

This looks good to me. Lake access,tent an rv sites.
09-21-2014, 11:41 AM,
Yep, that's the best place to camp. I might be interested in joining you guys for a day. Don't forget, Lake Mine and St. James are close by and worth a dive if you are up there all weekend.
--Jason
09-22-2014, 01:35 PM,
Can you get airfills if needed? I don't think the dive shop survived. I will have 6 or 8 tanks to cover the weekend (f/s/s) but others may not be so lucky.

09-22-2014, 08:39 PM,
Tall Pine Scuba used to do fills in Virginia, but that's closed. You could drive over to Duluth for fills. Best bet is to bring whatever you need.
--Jason
09-24-2014, 08:04 PM,

I'll be coming up there, dove St. James but never ore be gone. I'll bring my boat should get there early Fri. afternoon.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)
09-25-2014, 01:40 PM,
I am going to try and get up there for some diving on Saturday Oct 4th but probably just for the day.
09-28-2014, 09:23 AM,
The buoys might be removed this time of year at OreBGone marking the stuff although the one on the plane is submerged about 5 feet and it looks like it never gets pulled. That buoy is a yellow fiberglass SCBA tank. The first time we went up there, it was early spring and there was no buoys out except for the plane. If the buoys are pulled, no problemo!

The Honey Badger Dive Team put together this nifty map showing where most of the stuff is with coordinates, distance from shore, distance from one to another, and rough depth to each. We did not get across the pit to see the twin engine plane or the old car there so these are not on this map.

Another must dive up that way if you have a boat is the submerged buildings in Lake Mine (also called the Embarrass Mine Pit) Having two names for this even confused us (which is fairly hard to do depending on who you talk to Wink ). This is just South of Giants Ridge Golf Course. The buildings sit out in the middle at about 50' deep about 100 yards SW of a concrete structure that is above the surface on the North end of the pit. There was a navigation line form this concrete structure to the submerged buildings with a branch line that runs over the edge of a wall down to an alien head on a stick at the bottom. This is a nice wall that drops from 50' deep to 105' deep that runs NE to SW. The easiest way to get to this wall is to swim 75' NE from the buildings. There is another line from the buildings that heads NW and we followed it for a long time but got bored and turned around after finding nothing there. The Coordinates to the buildings are: N47 32.378' W92 17.143'.

St James pit is just North of Aurora and I personally wouldn't waste my time diving there as we didn't see much but a nice wall right in front of the boat landing. The coordinates to the St James boat landing are: N47 32.054' W92 13.815'.

So it has been a while since I have posted a photo link on this site but hopefully this link will bring up a photo of the OreBGone dive site map:
by , on Flickr]Ore B Gone Map[/url]

.jpg   Lake Ore Be Gone Dive Site Map (499x382).jpg (Size: 149.18 KB / Downloads: 25)
09-30-2014, 02:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 02:59 PM by arcFlash.)
The campground had 6 sites left for reservation when I called yesterday and made mine. I assume those did not include the tent sites.

Detector, thanks for the map. I'll see about getting you the missing numbers if we get over there.

I'm going to be at the park mid-day Friday as well.
09-30-2014, 03:00 PM,
The Viz was incredible the beginning of September.
We didn't do Ore-b-gon. Too many people doing training.
We stuck with Lake Mine and St. James. And I got to say the viz was much better than last year.
Joe<br /><br />&quot;It is better to be doing than to wish you were doing&quot;-Me