Remember me
Lost Password Register

Tioga Mine Pit
10-14-2014, 02:53 PM,
Tioga Mine Pit
Tioga Mine Pit
47.223244, -93.615588

I got some reliable (first person) advice that this pit is clear and contains a crane and at least one car that he personally witnessed go in from shore. He grew up near it.

Anyone know anything about it?
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
10-16-2014, 04:37 PM,
RE: Tioga Mine Pit
I got word vis is 60' right now.. structure at 50' and 100'.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
10-16-2014, 06:44 PM,
I might be interested in diving this next Saturday. Does anyone have good logidtics on this. Entry point and bearings ?

10-19-2014, 11:28 AM,
Doug and I made the journey up to Grand Rapids yesterday to dive Tioga. It was well worth the trip.

We did two dives from the public access on the east side. For tank one, we went straight out and down the slope looking for the wall. Visibility was all of 60' or better down to 50' or so when we ran into a layer of milky water. Around 70' the milk went a way, phenomenal visibitly returned, and we found the wall. The wall goes straight down and meets the bottom at 145'. The bottom slowly falls away over 30 yards where another mini wall can be found around 170'. The mini wall bottoms out around 200'. Visibility was fantastic even at these depths, no light required. Next we headed south and ascended the wall. We came across a wooden structure that has a 30 06 rifle chained to it. I think it's about 50'. Other than that we didn't see too much in shallows, a few trees, no fish.

Tank two started out the same but this time we went north. We found the wall corner where it makes a 90 and heads west. From there we made our way to shallow water and finished out the dive. There were a few more trees this way but still no fish.

Here's a short video I put together, the footage is from both dives. Enjoy.

10-19-2014, 11:36 AM,
Thats awesome. .. thanks for shooting the video!
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
10-19-2014, 01:35 PM,
The people from The Dive Depot in Bemidji dive there and know where the structures are. Sure they could help with more info. I would make that run just to dive the wall. Amazing!
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
10-20-2014, 10:20 AM,
Very nice video! When I see nice video like that, it inspires me to take a little more time editing. I like your use of the slo-mo versus the sped-up stuff I have been doing lately. You must be shooting in 60 FPS to get that crisp slow motion. We tried that on some darker dives and found that at 60 FPS doesn't let in enough light for the faster 'shutter speed' and makes the video darker than it actually was. I would like to hear more about what settings you have had the best luck with for different scenarios - darker dives versus lighter dives. Thanks again for sharing the video.
10-20-2014, 04:18 PM,

Thanks John, you're right 60fps. I really should have changed it to 30fps at depth but didn't. I try to shoot 60fps as much as possible so I have the option of slow motion in post.
10-30-2014, 11:31 PM,
Hi,
would you share where and how to get to this fantastic site?We have been going to Fortune Pond in Michigan which also is super clear however 5 1/2 drive from Twin Cities.
Thanks,Jerry
10-31-2014, 05:29 AM,

Just look it up on the web. There is a fair amount of info on it. Its just west of Grand Rapids, very easy to get to.
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.