Remember me
Lost Password Register

Redundancy question
05-04-2003, 08:46 AM,
Re:Redundancy question
Didn't mean to jump on you Dre, but I saw where you were going with the air bottle as a bailout gas from 218'. I happen to agree with you but, this has been a very informative thread for me and I ddin't want to change it into another debate.

John,
I have another question. I too do a bubble check with my buddy every time I get in the water. We also do a
"S-drill" before we go under. That means that we each practice sharing/donating gas in shallow water before we go under.

Do rebreather divers practice out-of-air drills everytime they prepare for a deep dive? Do you practice switching to SCR and OC bailout everytime before you go under?

Thanks,

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
05-05-2003, 02:00 AM,
Most YBOD divers will practice these skills on most dives.Normally at the bottem someplace

I certainly practice bailout (which is easy for me as I have an OC/DSV), but I dont practive semiclosed normally

Semi closed on a YBOB is a stop gap solution , more usefull for travelling horizontally as the PO" drops so quickly when ascending. So its a great way of extending OC gas supplies while at stops etc. If you have an ADV fitted its a piece of cake, you just breath out through your nose every 3rd breath, the unit does the rest. With Bobs OC?DSV its even easier, you just turn the lever to 45 degrees and each breath is then a mix of loop gas and fresh gas from the reg. I have an auto dump fitted to my lungs so buoyancy etc remain constant automatically

Personally I always carry enough gas to bail out fully, so my safety plan is bail out, start to ascend and consider options, only go back on the loop if its safe to do so

Nice thing about RB's is you have so many more options than an OC diver to recover from problems. OC really is a last resort. Thus I consider my RB safer than OC, which is one of the main reasons I dive it
Diver Mole
visit
07-30-2003, 01:03 PM,
Question for Inspiration divers out there.

During my instruction, it was mentioned that someone had developed some concise setup,pre-dive, and during dive checklists for use with the Inspiration. These were printed and laminated.

I assume they are an excel file. Does anyone have any good checklists like this? No need to reinvent the wheel if it already exists.
07-30-2003, 01:16 PM,
Divermole has a couple of good checklists on his website. Just click on the Downloads link on the left of the page.