Remember me
Lost Password Register

I have crossed over to the Dark Side
11-22-2014, 03:00 PM,
I have crossed over to the Dark Side
I have crossed over to the dark side and replaced my jacket style buoyancy compensator to a Dive Rite back plate and wing set up. This change in my dive gear was long overdue. This is my new dive set up: It is a Dive Rite SS back plate attached to a Dive Rite Voyager 35# wing, and a Dive Rite Transplate harness. The 20 cubic feet pony bottle on my right side has been inverted since taking this picture, and the inverted Dive Rite 15 watt HID dive light is attached to the back plate on my left side. On each side of the belt are Dive Rite Quick Release weight pockets capable of holding 10# each. On the left side of the belt is a Dive Rite back up light pocket with a 600 lumen Hollis LED dive light, and two knives.

11-25-2014, 10:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-25-2014, 10:55 AM by Hydro.)
RE: I have crossed over to the Dark Side
YEAH!... thats pretty similar to what i dive. i have a stainless plate and a venture wing... i have my liftbag where your pony is and i have weight on the straps of the tank... I prefer the straight up webbing as its <$20 to get new, my canister lights turns on from the head, so i have the battery on my tank out of the way. I prefer to attach my pony to my waist and shoulder strap, in case i want to move or access it. I also think i prefer the cross strap config as well.

oh yeah, one thing i would suggest is a corrugated hose cover, they cost $10. my Power Inflator froze open while icing and managed to explode my hose. (at the time i also didn't have a quick disconnect)

Confused is that a plastic crotch d-ring? and am I seeing the crotch strap right? going on the outside of the bladder????
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
11-26-2014, 10:56 AM,
Nice. You will be able to drop some belt weight after transitioning to a bp+wing. Also, you will find that it is easier to maintain a nice horizontal trim in the water.
--Jason
11-26-2014, 12:57 PM,
I still need to switch to a slung 30 CF bail out bottle, and a long hose eventually. I will probably put my 20 CF pony with tank mount and DUI weight harness up for sale on Craigslist soon.
11-27-2014, 06:39 PM,
You will be very happy with your new set up. The BPW is not only more adaptable to your needs but it is also so much more secure and stable feeling
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
02-19-2016, 12:45 PM,

+1

I will be diving my Deep Sea Supply bp&w for the first time next week during our upcoming trip to Key West.