Remember me
Lost Password Register

'17 Speargun Stamp would allow taking pike and cats
04-09-2015, 10:53 AM,
RE: '16 Speargun stamp would allow taking pike and cats
I live in elko and would be perfectly content doing only snorkel. Any chance to get wet is cool with me
04-09-2015, 06:26 PM,
will keep you posted when we start going out- watch your PMs
04-09-2015, 07:59 PM,
Sounds good
06-18-2015, 09:15 AM,
as for the Spearfishing Bill, it's on standstill for the rest of this year but will be brought before the next committee (Mining and Outdoor Recreation) in March 2016 so at the earliest it won't be in effect until 2017 unless they fast-track it and make it a late change to the '16 regs

said they might need a few people to testify on the bill's behalf next March
09-06-2015, 10:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-06-2015, 01:14 PM by stick500.)
I was thinking about things and got concerned that if this new reg passed, we might lose popular musky lakes like the dark house spearers did because of the fear we might accidentally pop a musky. But then I double-checked the current regs and they just opened up all those prohibited lakes back to the ice house spearers this year- something I didn't know about. (one exception is a lake in Cass County) So in other words, dark house spearers can apparently return to Tonka this year, a place they have been prohibited from for many years (the dark house spear group makes a lot of noise every year about all the restrictions and that may have had something to do with the abrupt change).

I am in touch with MN Rep. Mike Sundin and he says the proposal will be up again before the committee in Feb. and he may need some snorkel spear fishermen to make comments during deliberations.

I think anyone on this forum who is into spearfishing should take interest in this as it may potentially be quite harmful if we are in fact prohibited from musky lakes like the dark house guys were. If that happened, that would mean no more carp hunting on Tonka, and well, what would be the point of living if that happened?? This concern is something we should make clear ahead of time that we would not like to see, even if it means giving up shooting pike and cats and any other gamefish. I'd actually rather see them simply open us up to cats and panfish instead, and leave the pike and walleyes be, or perhaps a very limited take on those two species (so the line fishermen don't complain about us having some sort of big advantage).

I'll try to keep everyone posted here on anything I hear and I would also appreciate it if any of you guys hear anything and report it here or PM me.
09-07-2015, 12:13 PM,
Wow! what are you thinking stick? do we all need to Band together and show up at the capital to voice our right to be free in this country? keep us informed. if need be i will walk with you on this one...stef
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;
09-07-2015, 12:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-07-2015, 01:02 PM by stick500.)
I'll be right behind you Smile

I think we'll know more as it gets closer and we do need to be clear right off the bat that the new regs aren't worth pursuing if it means adding any "No Spearfishing" lakes so we don't shoot a musky

my guess is most people who are involved in this relatively small sport would agree that keeping all lakes open for carp hunting should always take precedence over the possibility of opening it up to any other species

shutting down an important resource such as Tonka so we can shoot pike and cats in other lakes ain't worth it! (I've only seen a couple cats anyway all the years I've been diving up here)

and Popo shouldn't you be out recreating on this beautiful Labor Day?? I'm heading out to the Misssissippi right now in Dubuque to chase some bass and sheepshead with my dad
02-26-2016, 02:32 PM,
Just got a quick note from MN Rep Tom Anzelc that we should know more about the status of this bill after March 8. Will keep you guys posted. Apparently they don't need any input yet from divers.
02-26-2016, 10:17 PM,
i dunno if spearing pike is a challenge. almost as easy as spearing bass, they arnt afraid of people. like spearing puppies.,,,
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
02-26-2016, 10:26 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-27-2016, 10:18 AM by stick500.)
You have a good point there Hydro! I can't say I 'm even all that excited about actually shooting them since I always let them go when I catch them on hook and line anyway. Now shooting a couple big crappies or gills for dinner when I get home might be cool but they aren't part of the plan right now. Walleyes seem like they would be a bit too easy, too! I guess that's why skittish giant carp are so fun to pursue.