Remember me
Lost Password Register

Month of May- Has anyone been doing any diving/snorkeling?
05-06-2015, 09:57 AM,
Month of May- Has anyone been doing any diving/snorkeling?
I'm ready to hop in as soon as my new fins come in the mail. Grey's Bay looks really clear form the shore right now and of course the weeds haven't overtaken the bay yet.
So has anyone been in the water yet? Pretty quiet on the forum....
05-06-2015, 05:27 PM,
RE: Month of May- Has anyone been doing any diving/snorkeling?
Been diving Crosby for four weeks already. Water is warming up nicely
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
05-06-2015, 06:41 PM,
i haven't been diving for like 4 weeks, i think i forgot how. Huh

"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
05-16-2015, 06:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2015, 06:23 AM by stick500.)
I hopped into Grey's yesterday for a systems check on my new 6mm semi-dry and had many things go right, but one big one go wrong. The suit, gloves, boots and new mask all performed great and I was incredibly warm, but my legs were way too buoyant and my fins were not getting any traction at all (I was snorkeling- I also have black sinking fins). As it was I had two weight belts on with over 20 pounds just to get close to being neutral at the surface. Guess I'll be getting some ankle weights to fix the problem as I do most of my diving without tanks. Don't know how much weight it's going to take for each ankle, but those babies were flapping in the wind the entire time. Had to swim sideways to get just one fin in.

No carp spotted but some huge bass were cruising around and a few 2-foot pike. Didn't cover much territory- never felt so awkward in the water! Even if I spotted some carp I doubt if I could have even gotten a couple kicks in to chase them! Vis was just OK and not as clear as it was in the middle of summer last year at the same spot.
05-16-2015, 04:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2015, 04:44 PM by Hydro.)
tonka is about 15-20 ft of vis right now sat may 16th 2015
-John Calhoun
05-16-2015, 07:59 PM,
+or- 30' on the Medeira today
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
05-17-2015, 09:35 AM,
Hydro, what Bay? What depth? Lotsa different places to dive on that little lake. Smile
05-17-2015, 09:44 AM,
We were west of the yacht club island outside of st louis bay On the other side of the channel.At least 20ft clarity looking down
-John Calhoun
05-18-2015, 10:29 AM,
Thanks for the extra info Hydro. That is a very pretty part of the lake. I snorkeled in St. Louis Bay last year the weekend school started and there is a resident huge snapper that lives by the docks who was very curious about why I was in his territory. Most snappers I see underwater want to get away from me, but this one was following me!
05-23-2015, 09:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-23-2015, 09:20 PM by Hydro.)
upper tonka north of smithtown was 15-20 ft vis and 58˚F today, 5-23-15
HEAVY Zebra cover on all solid surfaces except sand.
-John Calhoun