Remember me
Lost Password Register

Minnesota Exposure
03-07-2002, 12:19 AM,
Minnesota Exposure
For our honeymoon, the lovely Mrs. Landlocked and I went on a cruise.  After snorkelling in Grand Cayman and swimming with stingrays, I realized that I want to spend a significant portion of the rest of my life exploring the 2/3rds of this planet that are underwater.  For Valentine's Day my wife gave me scuba lessons and the classes start in two weeks.  I've already purchased my mask and snorkel, and fins are next, but I've got some questions about a wetsuit.<br><br>What am I going to need for diving in Minnesota this summer?  Can I get away with the same thing I would want to use diving in the Caribbean?  Or should I spend the $$ on the dry suit I'll want when I visit Seattle and dive the Puget Sound?  I've only lived in MN for a year, and I don't know how warm the lakes get once the ice melts.<br><br>Any thoughts or recs on wet vs. dry?  And if wet, how thick?  Thanks!  
03-07-2002, 05:45 AM,
Re: Minnesota Exposure
If price is not an issue I'd definately go with the drysuit.  You'll at least need a full coldwater wetsuit with gloves and hood until the hot summer months when you'll be able to get by with a shorty down to maybe 30 ft but any deeper than that and your're going to need the full coldwater wetsuit or drysuit.  
03-07-2002, 06:00 AM,
There is always the semi-dry option as well, this is what I use. It's a Mares Isotherm 6.5 mil and from what I have heard is really nice. I got it from FantaSea Scuba, you could ask them more about it. It's a lot less expensive than a dry suit, but more than a regular wet suit.
03-07-2002, 08:36 AM,
<br>I would start with a decent 7mm wetsuit.  You could always rent a dry suit as well -- make sure you get the extra training.<br><br>Since you have never done any diving in MN you don't know yet if you will really like it.  Wink  Get in a couple dives first to gauge your comfort level.  The diving is very different than Grand Cayman.<br><br>I have a 7mm henderson gold suit that I really like.  But, I do get cold in it at deeper levels.  I can't go 60ft at Wazee without risking my sanity.<br><br>I am interested in the semi-dry suit (let me know how that works out).  I may end up just getting a hooded vest to layer on first.  <br><br>If you have the cash you can't go wrong with a drysuit in this climate though.<br><br><br>--Jason
--Jason
05-01-2002, 11:20 PM,
I think that the suggestions have all been used up.  For diving here and in Seattle, get something warm.  The diving here is cold, dark and fun.  The Caymans are warm, bright, and fun.  Both areas offer different types of diving: different objectives, different sea life, etc.  Something I learned long ago, a nice thick wetsuit with hood, mitts, and boots does well to begin, however if you're like me ("poor", no meat on the bones) you'll want to upgrade to dry real quick if you like diving in the Midwest.<br><br>Wet: 6mm farmer and shorty (giving something close to 12mm in the core area).<br>Dry: have to muddle your way through the various array of materials and options, but one can layer "underwear" and stay warmer.<br><br>Some may say that there really isn't any difference in warm at depth with dry vs wet, it's the shock at the end of the dive when the weather is crappy and you're shivering in a wetsuit and your drysuit buds are warm and toasty.  I don't know how much weight to give that statement; I seem to stay warmer in the drysuit u/w than in a wetsuit.  Oh, and BTW, if you're in the habit of peeing in the wetsuit, you will NOT be able to do that in a drysuit (there are those that pee in their drysuits and then there are those that wish they hadn't)<br><br>Cheers!