Remember me
Lost Password Register

isle royal
09-23-2015, 09:18 PM,
isle royal
I went to check on the SS Henry Chisholm ~116 years 11 months after it sank.

ive got some more video to edit....
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
09-24-2015, 05:26 PM,
RE: isle royal

Nice video I didn't have as much ambient light when I was there
Shoot to kill, thats how I roll.
09-24-2015, 07:19 PM,
Very cool video. We didn't have that much ambient light when we were there either. I didn't have a bunch of time to look around as When I got to the screw at 150', I had a free-flow and needed to focus on that. What settings did you have your GoPro set to? I heard that 60 FPS doesn't let enough light in to get good shots so I used 30 FPS and it was still dark on my videos.
09-24-2015, 10:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2015, 10:16 PM by Hydro.)
Gopro 3 wide 60fps with inon lens i think spot metering too.. jumped about noonish.. rendering the america video now, but not sure about music and length, its like 17 minutes which seems too long
-John Calhoun
09-25-2015, 09:30 AM,

OK, I heard that 30FPS lets in more light than 60FPS & the reality shows on TV using 24FPS, but you have it dialed right in and the video quality is spot on. 17 minutes might be too long. It was hard for me to cut all that "good footage" to try to keep the videos under 5 minutes long. Nate and I took that GoPro class at Aquaventure last year and they had a lot of good advice about keeping the clips less than 10 seconds each, and the video less than 5 minutes. It keeps the watchers from getting distracted.
09-25-2015, 09:07 PM,
-John Calhoun
09-26-2015, 06:48 AM,
Very cool. I like that wreck quite a bit. In the engine room in front of the boiler it gets kinda tight and ther is one pipe hanging out that grabs hoses. Looks like Terry silted you out with those split fins a couple times.
09-26-2015, 06:50 AM,
Yea back by the bathrooms was super silty... then leaving on the left hallway there was a sprinkler obstruction to really slow us down.
-John Calhoun
09-28-2015, 07:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2015, 07:57 PM by Terry.)

Hello John, I led the first dive thru the deeper end of the America, only because Joe and Scotty haden't dove it before, and didn't want Joe to go in anywhere he didn't care for, only because we were behind him. Not that I question his (or Scotty's) abilities in cold penetration runs. The port stern hallway turned us back 25' up from the womens room, due to partial wall colapse and the drop of the sprinkler line into the center of the hallway. Joe and I did get into the, "forbidden room" where the 20 year old male drown back in 1976, (due to entanglement), astern and below the galley, although this area isn't as silty as the restrooms and their hallway. In retrospect it would make sense in the future to send Joe and his camera in first, that and widen Joe's light beam. Wink
Other news from Isle Royale,,,,, Concessions closed on Sept. 11 at Windigo on the south end, and the 13th at Rock Harbour, on the north end, that means the stores, showers,(at $6.00/5 min.) and laundromat are all closed. This always seems a little early to me as that's some of the best season to jump in, after Labor Day, schools back on, so a lot of the crowds are thinned, (not that IR being the least visited of any National Park, crowds are ever an issue) nights are cool, dandy nice for watching the Northern Lights. Both Windigo and Rock got updated electric generator/solar/battery inverter installations. Windigo now has twin 45 KW Cat. gensets and a single 75 KW Cat genset, to back up solar panels that cover the maintence building, and generator building roofs and a grass field between them. On a nice day Windigo has a maintained draw of 16-18 KW, ( approx. 30 HP) so the Cats don't run then at all, least when the suns out. Steve Martin gave us the complete tour, interesting,,, Smile for me anyway. Gas tanks are being replaced with double wall tanks at Rock Harbour while we were there, nessessitating a run down to Mott Island to get fuel on the North end (and a run back to Rock to pay). Gas was $4.40/gal at Mott, still a deal compared to the $5.40/ gal it is at Windigo. Daily fee is still $4.00/head, per day. Tough to beat somewhere, anywhere, on Labor Day without reservations, and be the only boat there though.
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)