Remember me
Lost Password Register

Spearfishing??
06-27-2004, 04:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-27-2004, 04:08 PM by Freedive WI.)
Spearfishing??
I guess that there's always more than one use for a speargun. Wink

"
Man acquitted of harpoon attack
A man accused of firing a harpoon into a teenager's face has been cleared of all charges against him after a jury accepted he acted in self-defence.
Nathan Kirk was cleared of unlawfully possessing an offensive weapon after earlier being acquitted of one charge of grievous bodily harm with intent.

The 25-year-old, from Hungerford, Berkshire, was also cleared of grievous bodily harm, on Thursday.

The harpoon hit Matthew Hawkins in the face, causing him to lose an eye.

Mr Kirk himself had been stabbed close to his heart during the fight in March 2003.
The jury at Reading Crown Court decided that the gun had been fired by Mr Kirk accidentally during the fight.

He brought out the scuba gun when a gang, including the 15-year-old, arrived at his girlfriend's flat in Thatcham following an argument over vandalism to a telephone box.

During the brawl, it was fired and became lodged in the teenager's face.

'Overjoyed and relieved'

Hawkins' injury was so serious that he lost an eye and paramedics had to use bolt-cutters to cut off part of the three-pronged harpoon.

Mr Kirk left the court without commenting to reporters waiting outside, but a statement read by his solicitor Georgina Murray said: "He is overjoyed and relieved that this traumatic case has now come to an end.

"He now wants to put the past 14 months behind him and get his life back on track.

"He is eternally grateful to his mother, father, family and friends for their support during the most difficult period of his life so far."

The court was told how Mr Kirk opened the door of the flat to Hawkins, his half-brother Barry Lovegrove and his sister's boyfriend, Derek Watkins.

Gang charged

The trio punched and kicked him and stabbed him close to the heart.

He retreated inside and brought out the harpoon to frighten the gang, according to Michael Topolski QC, defending.

Hawkins, Lovegrove and Watkins were also charged in connection with the fight and tried at Reading Crown Court earlier this year.

Watkins, 37, of Thatcham, was discharged on all counts.

Hawkins was discharged on two counts but convicted of affray and given a community punishment and rehabilitation order.

Lovegrove, 28, of Thatcham, was jailed for 18 months for affray. "

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   _40305833_harpoon_xray203.jpg (Size: 7.11 KB / Downloads: 77)
.jpg_thumb   _40305833_harpoon_xray203.jpg_thumb (Size: 30.79 KB / Downloads: 0)
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
06-29-2004, 06:46 AM,
Re:Spearfishing??
Non-game predatory class, I assume?
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
06-29-2004, 07:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-29-2004, 07:44 AM by igotoofar.)
That had to .......
[glow=red,2,300]HURT :o [/glow]
06-29-2004, 10:02 AM,
I have to know...Where did you get the photo...Very creative...Oh yeah...CAN YOU IMAGINE???????

DAMN
Oops Did I really say that?????
06-29-2004, 10:17 AM,
Here's the original story off of the BBC's website:

Jon
06-29-2004, 04:04 PM,
weird, i read an article that stated that paramedics cut the three tines on site prior to transport... if that is true, which i am not swearing to, there would not be an x-ray such as this.

Strange
Oops Did I really say that?????
06-29-2004, 06:48 PM,
paramedics had to use bolt-cutters to cut off PART of the three-pronged harthingy

They just had to cut the head off of the shaft, the rest of the 3-prong head stayed, well, in his head. Wink

Here's another shot off of the Freediving list that proves Darwin is alive and well.

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   spear_to_the_groin.jpg (Size: 36.02 KB / Downloads: 78)
.jpg_thumb   spear_to_the_groin.jpg_thumb (Size: 38.25 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-29-2004, 07:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-29-2004, 08:37 PM by scubadog76.)
Good thing that spear got lodged into that area rug before it hurt someone..........oh :-[ Wink
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson