Remember me
Lost Password Register

Want to play with lift bags?
05-07-2003, 08:39 AM,
Re:Want to play with lift bags?
Lets go the whole nine yards...Lets sink Rich's trailer , gear and all!!!
Make for a heck of a recovery... Wink

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
05-07-2003, 08:40 AM,
Am I wrong? I think bowling balls float...
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
05-07-2003, 08:45 AM,
Bowling balls don't float, but (depending on weight) some are only slightly negative.
I've had good times in Canada on a wreck that has a couple of bowling balls on the deck - their near neutral bouyancy makes it fun to toss them back and forth between divers.
05-08-2003, 08:30 AM,
We had a great time at Square last night with the lift bags.
My thanks to DanL for teaching me how to lift up a brick and swim it back to shore. I needed the practice so we did it twice!!! Wink And Dan made sure I didn't OVERFILL the bag.
Thanks again Rich (SD&T) for a wonderful time , as usual. Thank you for allowing us to try new things while we dive! Makes it all the more fun.
Viz was OK. (I could see the guide ropes about 10-15 feet down). My 'puter showed 53 degrees on 1 dive , 54 degrees on 2nd dive.
Brats were served under the stars after the dive. (Fred: Brats are best served under the stars...Something about the ambiance)

All in all , a real UPLIFTING experience!!! :Smile

Jean

P.S. And watching Rich dart around on that scooter...WOW!

05-08-2003, 08:53 AM,
Jean, thanks for the "brats" notes. Wink
Any pics of the lift events? o.k. - I'm clueless here :Smile.. do you use your own reg or octopus to add air or take another tank along down? I suppose if you were lifting a truck you'd probably have a pump and line.. but say you're lifting a boat motor.. maybe close to 200#? For 50# or less, your own air?
Seems like it'd take a lot of breaths trying to freedive the thing.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
05-08-2003, 09:54 AM,
I used my "long hose" primary to fill the bag. Made it really quite easy!!!

Jean Smile
05-08-2003, 11:13 AM,
Thanks to everyone for comming to the fun dive. Jason was the winner of the lift bag competition. I think everyone got lost on the way to the platform with the bricks. Jean and Dan were the first to the platform and to lift their block, followed by Jason. The other groups arrived shortly after. Poor Jean got a leg cramp on the swim in and Jason was able to overtake them for the win. It was a perfect night for grillin, a little chilly by the time we left (12:30am!). One thing I noticed last night were the nice muck trails running back and forth across the lake, so if you guys are game, I would like to do a frog kicking seminar next week. This is a no-silting kicking technique which is far more efficient than the flutter kick. Joel has kindly volunteered to video everyones profile and give them AVI's so you can see what you may need to work on. Let's keep our visibility clear, and our divers breathing rates low. Let me know if this sounds interresting. May 28th scooter classes begin. No more pesky cramps for Jean! In mid June, I think we will be starting monthly scooter races with prize giveaways. I think many people are affraid they aren't skilled enough for scootering. It's easier than kicking guys, and very safe after you see how to use them properly. Several people took advantage of onsite airfills. If this is convenient for you guys, I'll be happy to coninue bringing out the storage banks. Maybe we could do a night dive next week. There was talk of it this week, but I think the eats killed everyones motivation.

Hope to see everyone next week.
Happy Diving,
Richard
Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net
05-08-2003, 11:20 AM,
Great idea Richard. However, I think with all of the BOW classes starting now, the rototilling will be kicking into high gear which means bad viz is just around the corner...at least around the platforms and Golden Acres.
05-08-2003, 11:49 AM,
I agree with Lonnie!!! And to not have cramps , YAY!!!
Scooter races would be fun too...
And I know for myself , I sure NEED to work on my frog kick!!! (I am tired of being a silt-baby)

Jean Smile

P.S. I would be up for a nite dive next Wednesday , surely-ya-becha!
05-08-2003, 11:54 AM,
We are trying to do our part. We try to cover alternate kicking techniques in the class and pool, and certainly in the advanced open water class. Too bad that isn't standard with other shops around the cities. Square would be a happier, clearer place.Smile Guess they want to sell everyone the expensive split fins and hinge fins. Tongue Anyway, I'd love to help anyone who would like to learn this style. I will be happy to bring some turtle fins for people to try next week.

Happy Diving,
Richard
Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net