Remember me
Lost Password Register

Trinity's 7th Annual Icing Challenge,,,,
01-26-2017, 11:36 AM,
RE: Trinity's 7th Annual Icing Challenge,,,,

Well is I recall, they  have a bud in the back of their throat that looks like a wort that removes oxygen from the water as long as they keep their mouth open...They typically bury their body in the mud and only have their neck and head extended above the mud!...cheers
01-26-2017, 12:29 PM,
You're right Rookie, that is one of their tricks. Many river turtles also have two of that same organ (bud) just within their anus, and that's another place they get O2!

I always wondered how an air-breathing creature like turtles can spend the winter under the ice.
03-22-2017, 08:35 AM,
Gonna have to move to canada for icing.
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun
03-22-2017, 08:37 AM,
Well, so ends another year of Icing! This was another year of very little ice and snow. Unfortunately we also did not have cold enough weather, so there was no driving out onto the Ice Packs this year either! Some lakes had a foot of ICE in one spot and  30 feet away was "maybe' 6 inches! 

Well, I got my 1st open water dive for 2017 in Minnesota yesterday 3/21/2017!

So, Thank you Terry and Joe! We did our best!   

Cheers
03-22-2017, 09:13 AM,
so Rookie how about report on where you went and what you saw?

and how chilly did you get? Smile
04-05-2017, 12:13 PM,
As I understand.some turtles hibernate with mouth open and exchange gases ...oxygen thru tongue....but if they locate them selves in bad area that drops low in oxygen they will die before winter ends,much like we find pockets of dead frogs underwater in spots void of oxygen...same goes for crayfish.......we still got ice way up north this weekend...
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;