Remember me
Lost Password Register

dry suits
03-14-2002, 01:35 PM,
dry suits
<br>I've been thinking about getting a new suit.  I currently have a 7mm henderson gold.  I like it but I get cold during the deeper dives.  <br><br>I have looked at a semi-dry (isotherm).  If I think about investing a little more we get into dry suit territory.  I'm starting to think that if I invest in a semi-dry I'll eventually invest in a dry.  <br><br>I've been looking at a viking xtreme as an affordable dry-suit (under $1k).  <br><br>Thoughts, recommendations?<br>
--Jason
03-14-2002, 01:44 PM,
Re: dry suits
I've read lots about them, and they all seem pretty much the same to me... I know a guy who just won one on eBay for $145, got lucky I guess. I have the Isotherm semi-dry but I have a feeling I'll be jealous of the dry suit divers in no time. <br><br>Oh well...  hopefully someone will have better info than me, the rookie!
03-14-2002, 02:02 PM,
Yeah...there's no question a dry suit is best for Midwest diving.  I too am diving a Henderson 7 mil wetsuit and have only had it down to mid 40's water temp and haven't been cold at all.  I have a pretty good cold tolerance though.  I'd definately like a drysuit myself but I think I'll stick with the Henderson for awhile until I get more dive experience under my belt and more cash in my wallet and then maybe in a year or so invest in the drysuit.
03-14-2002, 03:58 PM,
There are several places in town where I have seen drysuits for under 1K.  Scuba Center has had the Henderson neoprene and the Dacor Extreme for $700.  I have seen some DUIs at Going Under for under 1K.  I believe Smith had one of the Bares for under 1K.  As it gets into spring it may be easier to find one cheap.  The other time is in the fall when stores are dumping out that years stock.  I picked up a Dive Rite 905 trilam last year for a bit under half off. Heck of a good suit.  <br><br>For under 1K don't expect front entry and don't be surprised if there isn't any training included.  If you aren't up to figuring it out on your own, by the time you add training you may be back up to the cost of a suit that includes training. <br><br>Vikings are good suits and the extreme is you basic entry level trilam.  It would be pretty hard to go wrong picking it up.  <br><br>Another option depending on your size, Scuba Dive and Travel had a batch of XL and XXL Mares Isotherms from last year for $300.  They are blue instead of the current grey.<br><br>One thing to not forget is that the suit is under 1K, but what you wear under it can add several hundred.  Even buying Polartec stuff at someplace like REI or Galyans still isn't inexpensive.  For a bit DUI was doing a package where the TLS-350SE came with undies.  It was pretty reasonable for the package.<br><br><br>JoelW<br>
03-14-2002, 04:01 PM,
It took me one dive in lake sup. {after which I had to crawl on to shore because I could'nt feel my feet} before I decided to invest and I have'nt used my wet suit since but my advice would be to shop around and look at used suits to,you can sometimes come across a good deal I bought a viking sport shell  suit  for 8 hundred and have logged about 65 dives in it with no problems. I did the course to see if it was something I wanted to invest in first.<br>and would suggest trying one first.
03-14-2002, 07:02 PM,
<br>Where is Scuba Dive and Travel located?  Haven't heard of them before.  Those isotherm suits are probably my size.<br><br>I think my problem with the 7mm is the fit.  I have gaping in the front chest region under the neck -- lots of water movement. I'm sure an isotherm would be an improvement just because of the better seals.<br><br>So, look for used suits at shops, newspaper, ebay?  If anyone hears of a decent used dry suit deal let me know (I'm 6'2, 180, 42-44 chest, 12 shoe).<br><br><br>
--Jason
03-15-2002, 02:01 AM,
SD&T is on the east side of 35 at 47th and Chicago, south of downtown.  The name of the owner is Rich.  He is who I go to when I need something.  Rich personally is pretty tech oriented, he treks fairly regularly to Florida cave diving, does mix diving and from the vidoes I have seen is a pretty good underwater videographer.<br><br>JoelW
03-16-2002, 06:02 PM,
Here are the three current options I'm looking at:<br><br>Mares Isotherm: $300  (new, last year's model)<br><br>DUI Norseman drysuit (used, good condition): $700<br><br>Viking X-treme drysuit (new): $750<br><br>I've tried on the isotherm and norseman.  Both fit me well.  I couldn't find any info about the dui norseman on the net. <br><br>Thoughts?
--Jason
05-01-2002, 11:12 PM,
Drysuits are great!  Been diving with them for many years, and have stayed warm in these uninvitingly cold waters of the Midwest.  I have dove in a Viking Sport, Nokia, and currently dive in a Viking Xtreme.<br><br>DUI is putting on their annual DOG Demo Days.  Check out the website and click on DUI calendar on the left.<br><br>http://www.dui-online.com/divein/<br><br>They are coming to Wazee the weekend of June 15th.  You too could try one out and see if it is for you.