Remember me
Lost Password Register

zeagle vs apecs
05-06-2003, 09:43 AM,
zeagle vs apecs
cold water sealed regs: zeagle vs apecs

pros/cons of each? personal annecdotes/preferences?
level of DIRness? which emits better chi?

05-06-2003, 09:58 AM,
Re:zeagle vs apecs
You can't go wrong either way. They both make great regs. As far as DIRness goes...I believe the DS4 first stage is the only Apeks first stage that's DIR approved (if you want to call it that :Smile) because it has all standard 3/8 inch LP ports. The other Apeks first stages have one of the LP ports as a 1/2 inch port. The DIR argument with the 1/2 inch port is that you don't have standardization of hoses for easy swapping out...you need the special 1/2 inch sized hose or a 1/2 inch to 3/8 inch adaptor which is what I use with my Apeks DST first stage. All of the new Zeagles have 3/8 inch LP ports.
05-06-2003, 01:03 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-06-2003, 01:06 PM by beeger.)
I'm a big Apeks fan. I own a number of Apeks reg sets and can't speak highly enough about these (TX100 firsts, TX50 seconds, TX100 second, TX40 second, DS4 firsts). That being said I know that the Zeagle regs are very similar. I believe that up until a year or two ago the Zeagle regs were actually being made by Apeks. However I don't believe this is the case anymore. I think the specs are still the same, but I'm not sure who is doing the manufacturing. Perhaps someone can offer some clarification.

The 1/2 port thing is annoying, but sourcing hoses is not a problem. I do carry a 1/2 - 3/8 adapter in my spare parts kit (these are cheap) in case I have to borrow from someone. But I'm also usually carrying a spare 1/2 port hose.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
05-06-2003, 01:33 PM,
Both are good regs and don't get me wrong, I like my TX-100's. And it may be a irrelevant point, but Zeagle are American made, while Apex are made in England by a French outfit. Both perform well, but supporting the home team might be a consideration.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
05-06-2003, 02:41 PM,
Oh nooooo...you had to tell me that. Now I'll have to sell my Apeks on Ebay and get Zeagle. ;D
05-06-2003, 09:02 PM,
tbrown - not that it really matters but are you sure about this? I thought Apeks is a British company, at least as it was founded. Maybe it is owned by another outfit now.

"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
05-07-2003, 07:38 AM,
Wouldn't bet the whole farm, but I would at least bet the back 80 Beeger. Apex was bought out a couple of years ago by Aqua-Lung International, which is a subsidiary of Air Liquide, and was started in conjunction with La Spirotechnique, which developed the patents. Now that might have changed, as keeping up with who merged with who, and took over someone else, is a never ending always changing saga, but to the best of my knowlege, my original statement that Apex is now a French outfit is correct. The takeover was in fact the reason that Zeagle developed their own regulator. Before they (Zeagle) just bought them from Apex and put their name on it. After the buy out, that was no longer an option, so Zeagle hit the drawing board and came out with their own. Both are great regs, and I cannot say that I have been anything but impressed with my TX-100's. However, my next set will probably be Zeagles.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
05-07-2003, 09:09 AM,
Apeks was bought by AquaLung International to be the regulator line for Seaquest since most of the Seaquest regs were less than stellar and new ones were not being developed and Seaquest was to become the "BC" company for A-L Int.
While Apeks is owned by A-L Int they are still very much a British company and I wouldn't agree with calling them a "french outfit." Semantics, I guess. They do have some interesting partnerships with Air Liquide on making oxygen clean regs (Air Liquide having many years of experience with oxygen systems). I like Apeks and the Zeagles look good but I am not a Zeagle service tech so I haven't been inside them to KNOW that. So Tom, what would be your reasons for going Zeagle? That might help chrisW.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
05-07-2003, 09:14 PM,
The 3/8 to half inch port, may be or may not be an issue to some. Let's face it, even the most sophisticated breathing simulator would have a hard time telling the difference between the 2, so a Vance Harlow chapter is not going to be of much help in a buying decision. If price is a factor, the Zeagle should be a little cheaper, especially if you are buying on line. Rebild kits for a Zeagle are much easier to come by if you service your own regs, but I'm sure an authorized tech for either would be easy to find. And finally, Apeks are made in England, by a company that is owned by another company that is a legal French corporation, and current nationalistic feelings aside, I think buying American is a good way to go, no matter what the political climate. Given the fact that I doubt you find anyone with either reg that has a bad word to say about them (either will make you a very happy diver), and you will have to nitpic to have one come out ahead, in my view, Zeagle comes out ahead by a wisker.

Tom
05-07-2003, 09:34 PM,
Zeagle also has a very good warranty and provides excellent customer service (at least in my opinion - and only if you buy through an authorized source)