Remember me
Lost Password Register

full face mask/reg.
03-13-2002, 03:49 PM,
full face mask/reg.
I,ve been thinking about buying a full face mask and would appreciate any info.on if they are worth the money.
03-13-2002, 03:54 PM,
Re: full face mask/reg.
I believe a user here (JoelW) has used them or at least knows about them, hopefully he'll see your post.
03-13-2002, 04:57 PM,
Not I.  I have looked at a couple and read about them, but the cost and problems with usage will keep me firmly attached to my apeks regs and big eyes mask.<br><br>JoelW
03-13-2002, 05:53 PM,
Sorry JoelW, didn't mean to put you in the spotlight like that without knowing first.<br><br> :-[
03-13-2002, 06:42 PM,
<br>What are the problems associated with full mask use?  I assume it has something to do with regulator integration.  
--Jason
05-01-2002, 11:04 PM,
Problems with FFMs:<br>
  • <br>
  • Regulator integration.  You will need another source of air and perhaps even another mask for backup.  Should your reg freeflow, then you would need to switch to your backup mask and reg and abort the dive.<br>
  • Because the reg and mask are one, the other issue is CO2 buildup.  If there isn't enough new air circulating in the mask clearing out the old, one could potentially get hypoxic, hypercapnic, acidodic, and pass out (not necessarily in that order).<br>
  • Larger profile / volume.  It's a big mask dude!  You'll have a larger air space that may require a little more weight around the waist; it may produce more drage due to the size.<br>
  • Covers the entire face.  This may cause claustaphobia in some people.<br>
  • Cost might be prohibitive for some, but you can usually find a good deal now and again.<br>
  • May require more maintanence that a standard reg and mask.  For example, I'll soak my FFM in fresh water after every use, then tear it apart and let it dry out completely (I have an Ocean Reef).<br>
  • Any others ?<br>
<br>Benefits:<br>
  • <br>
  • If you dive dry, you'll be completely dry  Big Grin<br>
  • If you dive cold, you'll be warm as your expired air will warm your face.<br>
  • If you require or desire communications with the surface or your buddy, you'll have that option.<br>
  • Large viewing area, almost 180 degrees (and that's a big picture).<br>
  • Could potentially have multiple mixes without changing regs if you incorporate a switch block (be aware of O2 levels in your mix though and petroleum products in your reg and tanks).<br>
  • Any others ?<br>
<br><br>Hope this helps Smile