Remember me
Lost Password Register

New NAUI safety stops
05-22-2003, 02:03 PM,
Re:New NAUI safety stops
For those of you who'd get a bit more of a read on the topic - check out as well. They have a list of articles by Wienke and Baker in pdf format - I believe there's also the article "Clearing up the confusion about deep stops" - a definite must-read!
05-23-2003, 05:22 PM,
Re:New NAUI safety stops
Just a little anecdote about deep stops.

During the summer of 2001 a group of us dove Truk/Chuuk lagoon on the Thorfinn (Great Trip, I highly recommend it).

In any case, many of the wrecks are quite deep - a bit beyond the standard recreational limits. Our computers did list a deco ceiling on a few dives during the week.

The policy on the Thorfinn (as I recall) is for any dive beyond 60' you do 1 minute at 60', 2 or 3 minutes at 30' and 5+ minutes at 15'. In every case, this was more than enough to clear the deco obligation on our computers (the computers usually cleared on the 60' stop once or twice a couple of computers didn't clear until 30').

Divers on the Thorfinn are generally offered 5 dives per day as well.

The policy seems to have served them well. According to the captain, at that time the Thorfinn had not had a diver hit using this policy in quite some time (5 or maybe 3 years if I recall). That is a significant number of dives and divers.

Since that trip, I've been a firm believer in using deep stops if for no other reason to keep your ascent rate under control.

RogueDiver
11-26-2003, 08:07 AM,
http://www.baue.org/library/irvine_baue_talk.html#Decompression
I just read some really intruiging ideas from G. Irvine/ DIR
about the way to do the deep stops, etc., this is a MUST READ: