Remember me
Lost Password Register

taking a mask apart?
05-22-2003, 11:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-22-2003, 11:47 AM by freedivernd.)
taking a mask apart?
This mask I found this past weekend is in really good shape but has some algea growing where I can't reach. Can I just pop the glass out and clean the silicone or is there a lot more to it than that. The mask is still very soft and it's a good mask that could become a spare (like having 6 or 7 spares isn't already enough Smile )
EDIT: I carefully removed the clip above the nose bridge and that allows me to lift the plastic rings that fit in front of the glass slightly... but it seems to me if I keep on lifting those plastic rings they will break -- maybe I'll go for it.
EDIT No.2: I was able to lift and pry the rings out, got it all apart.. now, I suppose dive shops sell some special grade silicone for re-gluing the glass in? I'll be checking into that maybe today.
EDIT No.3: Upon closer examination I don't believe any silicone was used at all in assembly..maybe a very thin film?
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
05-22-2003, 11:45 AM,
Re:taking a mask apart?
Fred, You'r right on both counts. Those rings do pop off and they probably will break when you do it. Dive shops have a special plastic prying tool to pop the rings off without (hopefully) breaking them. We occasionally have to replace a ring so we stock some for popular masks. If you bring it in to a shop, they should take it apart for you and clean it.
05-22-2003, 11:49 AM,
Thanks.. but I guess I got it.. fortunately without breaking anything (yet Wink) but can you tell me if they use silicone grease or a silicone seal or anything in re-assembly?
Fred
05-22-2003, 11:57 AM,
Nope, the glass just seats up aginst the silicone skirt. make sure you get the ring snapped down all the way around or you'll get a little leaking. When you're done putting it back together, put the mask on and try to inhale hard through your nose. You should find any leaks that way.
05-22-2003, 12:03 PM,
Thanks for the help. Maybe I'll end up with another good mask. (thing is, I think it might have been mine in the first place...lost some years back by my daughters' boyfriend)
Fred