Remember me
Lost Password Register

Tour de Lacs
01-30-2004, 11:38 AM,
Tour de Lacs
I am planning to do a tour of lakes this year. I would like to compile a list of diver friendly lakes. (as well as ones to avoid)
What are the most commonly dove lakes in Minnesota?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
01-30-2004, 12:55 PM,
Re:Tour de Lacs
Maybe breaking it down by region would be good. In the Detroit Lakes area we have a lot of "good for minnesota" lakes. I did send some of our area lake info to Jason/Chris to post under the "Lake Info" a loooooong time ago but it hasn't been posted yet. (hint, hint, to Jason/Chris if you're reading this)
Back to your question about most comonly dove.. besides the BIG lake to the east, the pits at Crosby (always divers there of course, definetly Lake 6 or 7 near Vergas for our area (I never go there that I don't run into divers) Paul Lake can be pretty popular here too. Those lakes are consistently good, along with several others in this area. They are a little short on ammenities but great/easy access (to the water, not air fills).
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
01-30-2004, 01:18 PM,
Thanks. I'm also looking at Perch Lake, Christmas Lake, Lake Minnetonka, Lake Calhoun, Square Lake, all the mines up at Crosby/Ironton, Lake Superior, I'll have to contact the dive shop up in Detriot Lake to get a listing of cities.
Of course, anyone that wants to come along would be more then welcome. The more the merrier is what I say.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
01-30-2004, 01:25 PM,
Metro Area
>Square Lake - fairly consistent with easy access and abundant dive buddies.
>Perch Lake - much the same as Square.
>Little Long Lake - I thought it was pretty good a couple years ago but I wasn't impressed at all last year...viz was really down for some reason. It does have nice access with a paved parking lot and a portable john on site.
>Christmas Lake - yuck! I dove it two years ago twice, once with 8 feet of viz and once with 0 viz. Very small lot that fills up with boat trailers real early. I didn't dive it last year and don't intend to return.
>Minnetonka - Dove this for the Crystal Pierz Marine cleanup dive last year. Viz wasn't good. Lots of boat traffic. Not a lake I'd dive again unless it's for a nice event like the cleanup dive.
>Lake Johanna - tried it couple years ago. Terrible viz. Don't think I'll return.
>Lake Harriet - I haven't dove it yet but heard it was pretty decent last spring.
>Lake Calhoun - Again, I have yet to dive it but it was supposed to be decent last year.
>Sugar Lake - pretty decent viz. I partipated in a milfoil check dive out there a couple years ago.
>Spectacle Lake - I haven't dove it but Jean dove it last year a few times. It's supposed to be pretty good I guess.
>White Bear Lake - I tried it from shore a couple years ago. Bottom line...don't try it from shore, LOL! It doesn't get deep enough to dive until you get WAY out there. You need a boat but the viz is supposed to be decent. Might be worth getting a group together to go in a pontoon or something. It's got lots of boat traffic on it though.
Hmm...that's all that comes to mind. I'll let others add to the Metro area report. Wink
01-30-2004, 04:06 PM,
We are in Virgina, We have Lake Ore-be-Gone (mine pit) we are putting down dive sites there also the new OHV Park. There is Lake Mine by Giants Ridge Recreation area and several other mines to check out. There is Burntside in Ely and then there is Lake Vermillion great place to find anchors on the reefs, but you'll need a boat.
Check out our web page
01-31-2004, 02:03 PM,
I have dove Spectale lake up here in Isanti County once, and the vis was pretty good. I did not see much in the way of other traffic, ie. boats and other swimmers. The swimming beach is right on the lake, not a huge amount of parking on the swimming beach, but not really needed. Need to dive from the swimming beach, the boat launch is very small. Nice lake, I give it 3 stars, but I can't dance to it. ;D
02-10-2004, 12:31 PM,
I liked Spectacle. It was pretty good viz. Nice clean drop-off over by the public access (I assume that is the swimming beach). Did a twilight dive on it too and that was pretty interesting!!! Had a few boats out there both times but nothing too hairy. Has picnic tables you can get dressed on but no bathroom on site.

Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
02-10-2004, 04:32 PM,
Where is Spectacle Lake?