Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cold Water Scuba Gear
05-31-2003, 09:21 AM,
Cold Water Scuba Gear
Hi, I am new to these forums and to SCUBA diving.
I am interested in ICE diving In northeastern MN and am curious about what sort of regulators / computers you would recommend that I buy. I have heard from my local dive shop that the Poseidon Regulators are some of the best for cold water diving. I would also like your opinions on whether or not I should buy a "good" cold water Octo too, or if any one would work fine as an emergency back-up.

Also, does anbody know of other dive shops that sell poseidon gear, besides Innerspace Scuba of Duluth. Email me if you do.
"My lifestyle determines my deathstyle"<br /><br />-St Anger
05-31-2003, 11:18 AM,
Re:Cold Water Scuba Gear
The Sherwood Maximus Regulator is as good or even better in my view. They are easier to work and cost less
05-31-2003, 06:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-15-2006, 01:57 PM by LKunze.)
I'd consider Apeks or Zeagle regs as well.  They both have very good reputations for cold water performance.  I have the Apeks ATX50/ATX40/DST setup. I've dove in 36 degree water in Superior with no problems.  A lot also has to do with how you tune them.  It's best to have them tuned down a bit for cold water diving.  Another thing is don't breath the reg above water if you are ice diving.  You probably already know that though. Wink
06-01-2003, 02:53 PM,
I also have a Sherwood Maximus. No freeze up and delivers no matter what your body position is. Nice underarm position so always know where your hose is. Cold or warm,muck or clear, it has always delivered or me. Linda
If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they are--Will Rogers
06-01-2003, 10:01 PM,
Thank you for the info guys (or Gals) I'll keep the sherwood maximus in mind as well as the apex/zeagle option. This will be my first REG purchase so I am trying to find as much info out as I can, and any more help that people give me is GREATLY appreciated! ;D

I have been reading more about diving in colder water and it appears that you should try to find a BC with more lift to compensate for the loss of the neoprene boyancy at depth. Is this true?

"My lifestyle determines my deathstyle"<br /><br />-St Anger
06-02-2003, 09:17 AM,
For single tank diving in coldwater you shouldn't need anymore than 40 lbs. of lift. I use a 36 lb. wing with a steel tank and 6 lb. ss backplate and it's got plenty of lift. I'd stay away from bigger wings unless you are diving doubles as the wings would be way to floppy.
06-02-2003, 09:20 AM,
Is Innerspace Scuba Center of Duluth still open? They used to have a website and I can't find it anymore. I did find address/phone numbers etc. for them doing a google search but the phone numbers didn't go through. Just wondering because we don't have them listed in our dive shops page on the board here.
06-02-2003, 09:35 AM,
ANewHope, I will second Lonnie's recommendation. You really don't need a BC with more than 40lbs of lift if you are diving single tanks. I am making the assumption that you are using aluminum or small steel tanks when diving with a wetsuit.

I personally really like my apeks regs. Make sure you have a local shop that can service whatever regs you intend to purchase.
--Jason
06-02-2003, 11:26 AM,
I should clarify that I dive a drysuit now too which makes a difference but I did dive steel 85's last year in a farmer john 7mil wetsuit with the 36lb. wing and it had plenty of lift.
06-02-2003, 12:09 PM,
ScubaPro is also worth looking into... but mention you dive cold water because there are differences in the models based on the diving you do.