Remember me
Lost Password Register

bp/wings: diverite vs halcyon
07-15-2003, 08:20 AM,
bp/wings: diverite vs halcyon
adv/disadvantages of diverite vs halcyon bp/wings?

I like the way the halcyon has a fabric cover over
the wing nuts. I dont want to snag my new 905 drysuit!
but the rest of the set up looks kinda sorta bulky...
suggestions anyone?
07-15-2003, 09:37 AM,
Re:bp/wings: diverite vs halcyon
Singles or doubles??

For singles I would go with th Halcyon because it is a better design- unrestricted air flow throughout the bladder. For doubles I would go with Diverite becaus it's cheaper. ;D

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
07-15-2003, 04:14 PM,
Sounds sacriligious to DIR folk, maybe, but I replaced the stainless steel wingnuts with nylon wingnuts, rounded off the nylon wings and shortened the bolts so they just protrude thru the wingnuts. The tank bands actually hold everything together anyway. Seems the bolts/wingnuts only hold the wing/plate system in alignment when the bands are loose.
Also, the plate storage pocket on the Halcyon does cover the lower bolt, but doesn't fully cover the upper one after it gets wet and streched a bit.
One funny thing about the Halcyon that I find is the most worrisome is that the dump valve tends to loosen and you need to check/tighten it before each dive. Would be a bxtch to loose it at depth and have zero buoyancy from the wing.
Net - halcyon has been great - highly recommended.

Dan L
07-15-2003, 04:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-15-2003, 04:47 PM by LKunze.)
Chris, I'm sure both are fine. Personally I dive the Halcyon 36lb. wing with the 6lb. SS backplate and I love it. The wing shape is real streamlined and it dumps air very efficiently with minimal air shifting in the bladder. I haven't had any problems with it at all yet and have been diving it for about a year.
Also, maybe JoelW will chime in on this one. I believe he owns both the Halcyon 36lb. wing and a Diverite wing. He could probably give you some comparisons. Smile
07-15-2003, 06:05 PM,
I own the Halcyon 27# wing and love it for single tanks. I have owned a few of the diverite wings, the Classic being my favorite, and have had very good luck using those on doubles. Many of my freinds use the Halcyon double wings, but Diverite is usually a whole lot cheaper and there isn't as big of a design difference in them as there is with the single tank wings. The Halcyon single tank wing is just the best (IMHO) I just wish they made the 18# wing in the same design as the 27# and 36# wings.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
07-29-2003, 02:42 PM,
I own a Haclyon 27# Pioneer MC System w/ a 55# Eplorer wings for my twin 95's. I previuosly owned a dive rite ss backplate with classic wings. My reason for going to the Halcyon system : It allows me to go to a sinlge tank without having to use a single tank adapter. I use the same system whenever I dive.