Remember me
Lost Password Register

Athens Dive Park in Texas
06-04-2003, 09:41 AM,
Athens Dive Park in Texas
This past Saturday I went diving in Athens, TX at the Athens Dive Park. This dive park had a feature article in one of last year’s Dive Training Magazine. This park’s website is .

Positives:

Water temp is about 83 degrees
A lot wrecks to dive from boats to jet airplanes
Plenty of docks to dive from
Visibility is about 37 feet
There are metal underwater pipes to practice cave diving

Negatives:

No fish, because water PH is too high
Max Depth about 25 to 30 feet

Attached Files
.jpg   Me__Athens_TX.jpg (Size: 64.64 KB / Downloads: 66)
.jpg_thumb   Me__Athens_TX.jpg_thumb (Size: 23.51 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-04-2003, 11:34 AM,
Re:Athens Dive Park in Texas
Way to go Larry!!! Yea , that looks like you down there...That sounds like an awesome place. So much to choose from with great viz to boot....Thanks for the picture and the information...Did I read that right...their web site said that their U/W platforms are carpeted??? WOW!!!

Jean Smile

P.S. No hood and no gloves...I am impressed!!!
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
06-04-2003, 11:39 AM,
Yeah, I've read about Athens over at Scubaboard quite a bit. Sounds like a pretty popular place down there. I'm kinda surprised the viz is that good for such shallow warm water.
06-04-2003, 11:47 AM,
Pretty cool place. I did my PADI AOW cert 10 yrs ago at Pearl Lake on the WI/IL border north of Rockford, IL. At the time, I read that more divers had rec'd certifications at Pearl Lake than anywhere else in the world. There was a lot which had been sunk for divers to see including a plane (twin engine dive bomber trainer), sub (2-person but still perhaps 35' long), boat, and a bus. There was also a line to decend on that went to 90ft deep. I recall there were some other sights but I didn't see them all. Shore access was available from all sides of the small man-made lake. One nice feature is that they put a lot of fresh water clams in the lake to filter the waters and keep the visibity high. I saw some huge crayfish there during a night dive on the dive bomber! They had a restaurant, lots of room for camping, a dive shop, beach for swimmers, and a small community room (ping pong, etc.). Some cheap motels near by.

I just did a quick look-up on Google and found this link:

- Dan