Remember me
Lost Password Register

Scuba Flag???
08-01-2003, 01:56 PM,
Re:Scuba Flag???
One of mine, the Rob Allen, is tied to the front and my other one, the Sporasub, is attached underneath. I haven't had any problems and i just got one for my father-in-law to use with his scooter when he dives. They pull fairly straight and most of them are a lot cheaper than that Riffe one you found- usually from $10-$35 for the sporasub and R.A. models. My R.A. float is also foam filled, and weighted, so it can't pop and keeps the flag upright.
Some speaors even use "boogy boards" with a flag stuffed into the top leash mount and hte dive flag line attached to the bottom of the mount. You can get those at the local sporting goods store for around $35. The R.A. float is still my favorite.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
08-13-2003, 07:52 AM,
I have the yellow "Diver below" blow up float flag and have had it blown over on windy days. Now if it is windy I just splash it full of water to hold it upright (no weights added). The reason I use this one is it deflates/inflates easy and folds up pretty small to store in my dive bag at all times.

p.s. I hate flags, >Sad they have a limited use only to show non divers what they are missing out on....
08-13-2003, 08:18 AM,
Not to mention that a lot of boaters out there have no idea what it means. I know a diver who was in Mille Lacs towing their flag behind them. A boater came up and started pulling the flag/float out of the water to see what it was attached to. Up came the diver in a very grumpy mood. I know I would be pretty irate if this happened to me. The laws are there to make us have the flags but what good does it do if the public isn't informed as to what it means.
08-13-2003, 09:15 AM,
Hey Inspirationdiver , I agree with that statement 110 percent!!! We did one dive this year on Sylvia and had a boat come very near us (over us actually...we were at the 15 foot mark) at trolling speed. I know that our flag was almost right over our heads. So while I was fuming down there I saw a lure come dancing along over the top of the lead divers back. Thats how I knew the boat was really , really close... And also: JUST DOWN RIGHT NASTY!!! >Sad

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
08-13-2003, 09:19 AM,
Shoulda got out the shears and snipped their line. Wink
08-13-2003, 09:32 AM,
Something I've noticed several times on flags is that on occassion we divers don't do our part to keep them above the water.. many times I've seen divers drag flags under the water.. only to see the flag later slowly surfacing from down under. A flag on a better float would be a lot less likely to get pulled under without realizing it.
Snorkeling does have it's +'s as far as flag laws go but I still drag a tube along for visual safety, and sometimes the dive flag. And I think because some people might think the tube is "runaway" I'm going to start bringing the flag along more often.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-13-2003, 09:40 AM,
Yeah, I used to have one of those cheap styrofoam floats. I only used it a couple times and through it in the closet because it always pulled under water when trying to keep the line taut. I recently picked up an innertube float with the zippered cover and like it much better.
08-13-2003, 09:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-13-2003, 10:21 AM by LKunze.)
Just got me to thinking. If we think we have it bad, we should be glad we aren't out on the east coast. Out there the lobster fisherman on boats hate divers and drop bricks off their boats over the dive flags, steal or destroy dive floats, and threaten divers in the water. :o