Remember me
Lost Password Register

Split Fins or not?
06-17-2003, 05:33 PM,
Split Fins or not?
Ok this one shoud be simple. Should anybody buy a pair of split fins, Why or Why not.
"My lifestyle determines my deathstyle"<br /><br />-St Anger
06-17-2003, 06:40 PM,
Re:Split Fins or not?
I think the answer to this question depends on you. You should be able to test out a couple different fins from your local dive shop.

I think if you are purely doing recreational diving using a flutter kick then split fins are fine. If you are doing frog kicks then buy standard fins.
--Jason
06-17-2003, 07:32 PM,
After seeing Jason and Lonnie dive this past weekend... frog kick is the way to go in our lakes.. and if you can get a chance to see either of those guys dive you can sure pick up a lot and see some great technique! I was impressed. guess I'll be digging to the bottom of my fin bag for my good old scuba fins next time out (next time out scuba diving anyway)
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
06-17-2003, 08:28 PM,
Should anybody buy a pair of split fins

NO.

Big waste of money and they stir up the bottom too much. Some of them are almost as long as freedivng fins, but with nowhere near the power. Any normal paddle type fin is better for scuba diving and you can use the money you save to take a nitrox course- which IS worth the money.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
06-17-2003, 08:33 PM,
I've only been diving for a couple of years and have used both "standard" paddle fins, hinged fins (dacor Tiger) and split fins. They each have their use. My Dacor Tiger's blew out on me in Bonaire and I had to repair them with cable ties to finish out my week. They worked well until they fell apart. The split fins are great in tropical waters, less effort required for more thrust. The paddle fins are great for a wider variety of finning techniques. Unfortunately my paddle fins were the victim of a rather over ambitious German Sheperd and I have not yet replaced them... Guess I'll be diving Square Lake tomorrow with the V12's.
PADI - AOW, DPV, Dry Suit, Wreck, TDI Nitrox
65 Dives and growing.
Deepest Dive - 132' Lighthouse, Bonaire
Deepest Wreck - 130' Hilma Hooker, Bonaire
06-17-2003, 09:35 PM,
Depends on what you do. I've been able to use both split fins and "normal" fins, but not the hinged type so far.

Split fins - you can go faster, with less effort, in a straight line. But...there's a feeling of far less low-end torque. You can't get moving as quickly, change directions as easily, or stop as quickly. Also, you're pretty much limited to flutter kicks.

"normal" fins - not as fast, but more versatile, IMHO. I can start faster from a stop, I can stop faster when moving, I can frog kick, I can go backwards, etc.

It depends on your priorities. For me, normal fins were the way to go. I'm currently using a pair of Mares X-3s.
06-20-2003, 02:24 PM,
Although I have never tried freediving fins, I would think they would be best for speed and least amount of effort. I would love to try some day.

Why is taking a nitrox course of any value?

Derrick
06-20-2003, 03:17 PM,
Why is Nitrox of value? Hmm, let me see.. Reduced SI, less chance of DCS, considerably more time under water within the limits of your mix.

On the less than scientific front, it has been reported by many that they experience less fatigue when diving Nitrox. I personally haven't noticed much, if any, difference.

I took AOW and Nitrox for a couple of less conventional reasons though. I figured the more training I have the better diver I'll be. AOW gave me even more insight into what symtoms to look for in yourself and your buddy that could lead to problems. The Nitrox course gave me more info into the nuances of O2 toxicity.

The more information I have for making decisions makes me a better diver. Nitrox and AOW were both cheap enough classes to make me not onyl a better diver but a safer diver.
PADI - AOW, DPV, Dry Suit, Wreck, TDI Nitrox
65 Dives and growing.
Deepest Dive - 132' Lighthouse, Bonaire
Deepest Wreck - 130' Hilma Hooker, Bonaire
06-20-2003, 03:28 PM,
Derrick...you're kidding me. You are nitrox certified aren't you? ???
06-20-2003, 03:30 PM,

I can see all those problems going away by doing better deco on dives than the recommended 3 minutes at 15'. 1 minute at 60', 1 minutes at 50' etc. It cost less.

Derrick