Remember me
Lost Password Register

Starting a dive club/whats the liability?
02-12-2004, 05:52 PM,
Starting a dive club/whats the liability?
:SmileSome buddies and I have a pretty cool idea for a local dive club however there is a catch we can't get past.... If anything goes wrong, how do any of us keep frrom getting screwed in the courts. We're not planning to offer any instruction, fees or anything like that, just a time and place to get together with other divers. What precautions or advice can everyone offer so we don't end up in the same boat as Martha Stewart? Thanks, scubadog76.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
02-12-2004, 06:27 PM,
Re:Starting a dive club/whats the liability?

You mean you'll dump your stock on inside trader info - boy, if you can get a diveclub to make it to Wall Street, I'll be the first one to sign on and I'll even take my chances with the Fed's ;D
02-12-2004, 10:16 PM,
I would think that forming a dive club wouldn't be to difficult with all the people that are "registered" on this website. I for one am always looking to dive, however, I know very few people since I live out here in the "Boonies". My only "regular dive buddies" are Jean & Jerry, and we can always use more.

Why don't we see if there is enough interest first? Set a weekend date into the future, say in April, after tax time and after our "warm water vacations".

I am sure there is a bar/resteraunt that is kind of "centrally located" in the Twin Cities that would have a room we could use for the evening. We could have a rather informal gathering where people could talk scuba and exchange address or telephone numbers and perhaps plan a more organized meeting the "next time".

At least it would be an opportunity to "put a face" to the person behind the computer. Worse case, we might gain another dive buddy for the summer.

If this seems like something that is of interest to people, I would be willing to help organize it.

Let me know.
David A. Torry<br />Cell (612)799-4333
02-13-2004, 12:58 AM,
You will find a number of dive clubs in the Twin Cities area. I know of other clubs in different parts of the state. The existing clubs may provide the structure you seek.

Otherwise I know that the informal nature of mnscuba.com meets the needs of many divers. Personally I like the "show up, buddy up, dive in" nature of our virtual group.

Your first chance to meet other mnscuba.com members is at the Twin Cities Shipwreck-Scuba Show in a couple weeks.
--Jason
02-13-2004, 10:11 AM,

I agree with Jason. I have always like the "virtual group" concept on MNSCUBA.COM. Also , some of the local dive shops have taken advantage of the board. Plus , this club is "always available" to divers , which is awesome!

Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
02-13-2004, 10:57 AM,
when this all started we tried to have get togethers but turnout was low. I would be up to meeting new people but the logistics get hard.
and scubafreak were not to far apart if you want to get together and talk scuba (I'm in Buffalo).
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
02-13-2004, 12:14 PM,

Since I live in the Northern Cities , I wouldn't mind going a little northish to talk scuba either.

Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
02-14-2004, 11:06 AM,
I know mnscuba is set up for grabbing a buddy and heading out, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to meet new divers in "off time" or winter months. I think it would be valuable to know some more people prior to the spring season, which is coming quickly!!

I dissappointed myself last year with not being able to make it to the square lake wednesday fun dives by sd@t, but hopefully this year i can take one or two wednesday evenings off.
Brian
02-14-2004, 01:49 PM,
Fellow Divers:
Starting a dive club, and being concerned about liability issues is huge these days. However, If you stick to a liability release form regiment, it should take away 95 %, (?) of the liability. The other 5 %, or maybe more, of the public are being convinced by Lawyers they have a legitimate case. Their will always be sue happy people in this world that point fingers and blame someone else for their actions.

Why not join other dive clubs or, Societies that are already in exsistance. For example, Minnesota Frogmen. The club has a group of main people that each have a boat and take turns using them. They also share an air compressor and even have extra dive cylinders to use and rent out very cheap. (I heard $5.00 for the day). During the summer months, they have a local dive every Sunday in Lake Minnetonka, and know of all the clear (VIS) and hot spots. They also have occasional weekday / nightdives. They also have dive trips to Lake Superior! Sometimes they even sponsor a trip to the Florida Keys during the cold winter months.

Their are a couple of key people to contact to find out more about Minnesota frogmen.

1-Jim Cilberti 952-935-2146
2-Bob Seper 763-473-1351
3-Mark A (Forgot his last name) 952-472-4651

Check them out! They are fun and inexpensive!

Their is another group of shipwreck divers that are very dedicated to the preservation of shipwrecks. They are a Society, and not a dive club. They are in exsistance so that we can continue to dive the shipwrecks of the Great Lakes safely, and so that the government can't think of a reason to ban divers from diving the shipwrecks.

The GLSPS , (Great Lakes Shipwreck Preservation Society) would like to invite divers, non divers and Maritime History buffs, to join us in an effort to preserve these shipwrecks. Mainly along the north and south shores of Lake Superior and Isle Royale. It only costs $20.00 per year to join and they need your support! Why not join. They have many benefits for there members. For example,

1-The Society will be lauching a GLSPS work boat this summer in which they will be performing preservation projects.
2-They perform underwater light construction on the shipwrecks they are preserving. This will give you something to do underwater other than just swimming around.
(Taking the "light Underwater Construction" coarse is awsome)!!
3-Special Pricing on First Aid, Oxygen, AED, and other Safety classes.
4-Newsletters twice a year to members on the progress being made.
5-Hang out with very knowlegable divers. (They also have alot of "cool" stories to tell about past experiences on shipwrecks).
6-A rewarding chance to make a difference in the diving community. And many more !

Log onto the GLSPS web site for more details at, .

Also check out the annual "Dive Into the Past" show they are putting on Saturday February 28th 2004 at the Roseville area highschool. Check the web for details! They have a very good show planned for this year!!
The show is a great way to meet new dive buddies!

PLEASE check them out, they are looking for a few good members, divers and non-divers!

Hope to see you all there.

PJK
Safe Diving<br />PJK
02-14-2004, 06:06 PM,
Another group is Twin Cities Dive Club

JoelW