Remember me
Lost Password Register

technical or recreational???
06-18-2003, 10:32 AM,
technical or recreational???
I've been looking at some of the local dive shop web sites, and I see that some offer technical training, ie Trimix, Decompression procedures... is this geared toward the recreational diver, or do these certs. have any professional validity???

Interested in doing some tech. training, but want to know WHAT IT ALL MEANS!! Thanks~ angela :Smile
06-18-2003, 11:36 AM,
Re:technical or recreational???
See the new post in: Dive Shop Events
Recreational Tri-mix Course
So it seems the world of Tech Diving crosses over to the Rec Diving community. (Which sounds perfectly awesome!!! Give some of us more choices we can make)

I will leave the professional label to be handled by the tech divers around here. But you can be a professional instructor and not be a technical diver right?
Did you refer to professional as someone who earns income because of diving??? Just curious...
As for the other stuff , I will definately leave that one up to those on the board that know much more than I.

Thanks again
Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
06-18-2003, 12:04 PM,
I consider it all recreational. Your just using a little bit more advanced tools (toys Wink) to get the job done.

At one point in time nitrox was considered technical. Now, everyone uses it to enhance their diving in a safe way. The same is true for the rest of it. We are all doing, or should be doing, this for fun. It's just that some people take their fun a little bit more seriously than others. ;D

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
06-18-2003, 01:56 PM,
While courses such as nitrox and the new recreational trimix certainly add to the knowledge and skill base of recreational divers, I feel strongly that training such as adv. nitrox, trimix, wreck penetration, cave, and so forth should not be viewed as a natural progression of recreational diving.

While in the past using a mix other than air may have been considered "technical," the major divide between rec and tec is the addition of multiple gasses and/or the inability to make a direct ascent to the surface whether phycially imposed (wreck or cave) or imposed by decompression obligations.

Divers need to build up a recreational base to trasition to tech, but tech is not for everyone and should not be viewed as such.
06-18-2003, 05:28 PM,
I think Jean came closest to answering what I was asking, but let me reword...

If i were to get certified in every technical course offered in the TC's, would that entitle me to work as a professional technical diver, and yes, earn income? What are the organizations that certify professional technical divers?

Also, what organizations certify scientific divers? I'd like to learn more about the diving that exists outside the PADI/NAUI/SSI, etc. realm. Any info appreciated! Thanks~angela Wink

06-18-2003, 09:07 PM,
Hi Angela, the term "technical" usually refers to diving in overhead environments, deep or long dives with decompression, or diving with multiple gases. You can get certified as a technical trimix instructor just as you can get certified as an open water instructor. Both certifications allow you to work as a professional trainer (along with the proper insurance).

A diver with "technical" training cannot work on underwater welding, repairing dams, or underwater demolition. Those types of jobs are handled by divers with "commercial" training. Some dive shops can provide commercial training.
--Jason
06-18-2003, 11:58 PM,
It sounds to me like you are asking about becoming a "commercial" diver, Am I right? What kind of diving are you interested in getting into? IE: Public Safety, Underwater welding etc, or sceintific?
06-19-2003, 01:11 PM,
YES! Thanks for both responses!!

At this point I'm just interested in learning more about the different types of diving out there, and what kind of training/certification is nec., and where one can obtain this training.

What are the certifying agencies for technical and commercial diving? And isn't there a specific organization that certifies divers for biological research???

Thanks again! ;D