Remember me
Lost Password Register

Isle Royale
06-26-2003, 07:32 AM,
Isle Royale
John J. and I are heading up to Isle Royale this Saturday. We'll be staying up there for a week. This will be my first time up there using my rebreather, been plenty of times on OC. For those of you who have been there before, you know how loud and annoying the compressor can be every day when you pump your tanks back up. We don't even have to bring a compressor. We are bringing 3 diluent and 3 oxygen bottles each. Keep in mind these are only 20 cu ft bottles so they take up little room on the boat. We can easily make 15 trimix dives on this supply of gas. This is more than we will need, but with the small size of the tanks, it doesn't hurt to bring a little extra. Still hoping for good weather.
Kamloops here we come.
06-26-2003, 08:12 AM,
Re:Isle Royale
As always... be safe and watch out for each other and yourselves. Be sure to tell us how the condition of the wrecks and island looks, temps, vis, and share your profiles and captured memories when you return.

No bubbles is a good thing! ;D
Have a great week with much success and fun!
06-26-2003, 08:13 AM,
Sounds like a lot of fun. Post a review of your trip when you get back. Smile
06-26-2003, 12:50 PM,
I'll be up there Friday and Saturday with two buddies. We are only diving on South side (America, Chisom/Cox).

Hope to run into you guys!

Derrick
07-07-2003, 07:29 AM,
Well, it was an awesome week of diving at Isle Royale. I don't even know where to begin.
Our first dive was on the Kamloops, 30 min bottom time, total inwater time of 1 hr 20 min. We penetrated the engine room, saw whitie, the stern wheel, telegraph, propeller, rudder. The water temp was 39 degrees, no warm thermocline to do deco in. This was a really cold dive, we limited our dive times for the rest of the week to avoid having to do too much deco in such cold water.
Second dive Congdon Stern, 25 min bottom time, 1 hr total inwater time. Penetrated engine room, took great pictures of double wheel and rudder. We actually got deeper on this dive than either dive on the Kamloops.
Third dive Emperor Stern, 30 min bottom time, total inwater 1 hr. Again we penetrated the engine room and took lots of good photos.
Fourth dive Kamloops again, 20 min bottom time, 1 hr total. Took lots of good pictures on this dive. This is one amazing wreck.
Fifth dive Chisolm Engine, 20 min bottom time, 30 min total. My glove flooded at the surface so we had to call this dive a little shorter.
Sixth dive America, 1 hr 10 min total inwater time. We penetrated every place possible on this dive, crew quarters, boiler room, engine room, galley, salon, etc. This wreck is like a playground.

Am I making you jealous yet? Just wait it gets better. John and I made 6 dives, totaling about 5.5 hours of inwater time. All of the dives were done on trimix except the America. We each used 35 cu ft of diluent gas, 35 cu ft of oxygen, and about 35 cu ft of Argon. We used just as much Argon as each breathing gas!! No noisy compressor running every day. All of these dives were done with about $20 worth of scrubber chemical.
Are you starting to see the real power of these rebreathers yet?
07-07-2003, 07:33 AM,
Sounds like you had a pretty amazing time. BTW what's whitie?
07-07-2003, 07:48 AM,
Creepy. :o That's kinda what I figured.
07-07-2003, 09:15 AM,
Inspiration...

Do you plan to post some of your photos online? I am sure others on the board would appreciate the opportunity to view the images you collected.

If you do, please advise as to where we may be able to view them.

Thanks!
07-07-2003, 11:27 AM,
No doubt...I'd love to see pictures as well! Smile
07-08-2003, 02:42 PM,
I don't have any underwater pictures. INSPIRATION DIVER is getting them developed and maybe he will post some. I'll post some above water pictures. First one is of 2 Inspirations on the back of the boat being prepared for a dive.

Attached Files
.jpg   2_units_a.jpg (Size: 47.15 KB / Downloads: 121)
.jpg_thumb   2_units_a.jpg_thumb (Size: 35.85 KB / Downloads: 0)
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.