Remember me
Lost Password Register

'Towing the Flag'
06-26-2003, 08:31 AM,
'Towing the Flag'
Just curious...
If you provide the flag, do you tow it along as well? Or if you provide the flag do you prefer your buddy tow it?

Is there some sort of 'flag etiquette'?

This made me think of something!

Wireless Flags! You could wear something on your gear somewhere that sends out a 'homing signal' to the flag and it would follow you. No more snagged lines...
06-26-2003, 08:34 AM,
Re:'Towing the Flag'
If I have the flag, I prefer not to tow it, but I usually end up doing it anyways. A while back, a friend of mine was trying to design a retractor for the flag. His hope was to not have to touch the line- it would automatically let out more line or take in any slack. He never got anywere on it, but it is a nice idea.
06-26-2003, 08:42 AM,
I don't have a decent flag/float so I never bring it with. I really should get one of the innertube flag/floats. Just not a fun thing to drop money on so I've always put it off. What are they like around $40 just for the float/flag and another $15 or so for a decent aluminum handle and line? Ouch. :Smile I usually rely on a buddy to provide one. We usually take turns towing it if we're doing multiple dives. I don't think any diver enjoys towing a flag though, they are real annoying.
06-26-2003, 08:47 AM,
I guess it doesn't bother me 'too' much, other than getting snagged the only other thing I don't like about it is that it helps me 'cheat' on my buoyancy... I've noticed that when towing the flag I hardly ever have to adjust my bc, gee... I wonder why?
06-26-2003, 09:02 AM,
I never tow a flag but always carry a liftbag with me that says: Diver Below. Towards the end of the dive I shoot the bag (usually if I'm not back in 3ft of water - otherwise I don't bother). It gives me practice shooting bags, plus I don't have to carry the float with me all the time.

Floats are great if you're drift diving and a boat is following you, but other than that I prefer a liftbag.
06-26-2003, 09:14 AM,
Is it legal to just use a liftbag? I've never been checked by the DNR, but I've heard that they will check for flags occasionally and give out tickets. I like the idea of a lift bag much better than a flag. Where did you get yours?
06-26-2003, 09:14 AM,
I usually like to tie the line off to a tree or a rock in about 15 ft of water. Then I don't have to carry the flag throughout the whole dive, and the line provides a good reference point for the exit. When you come back to the line, you know you are where you want to exit the water.
06-26-2003, 09:16 AM,
Cool idea DRE!!! Have a bunch of people down there and all of a sudden about 10 "flags" come popping to the surface.
I would assume that the DNR would like us to have a flag "over us" at all times however. Tongue

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
06-26-2003, 10:07 AM,
Yeah, the lift bad idea is good... but doesn't quite meet the states requirements for a dive flag unfortunately.
06-26-2003, 10:52 AM,

I have a Diverite bag I got at SD&T. Most diveshops taht do tech diving carry liftbags, or even better, Dive Alert Markers. Popular brands are Diverite, Halcyon and OMS.