Remember me
Lost Password Register

Emergency buddy ascent...
06-10-2003, 05:14 AM,
Emergency buddy ascent...
Because of a past experience I witnessed after the fact on a dive vacation , I have a question for everyone. Lets say your at 30/40 feet and all of a sudden for some/any reason , your buddy starts to panic and heads for surface like a rocket. The only way to stop the emergency ascent is to grab onto their lower legs/fins etc. I think that I would at least try to make a grab at them. But if they slip out or I miss the grab and they continue to shoot up , what would I do??? The diver in me says to make a controlled ascent (as best as I can) and then deal with the problem when I get up there. But the human in me wants to get up there as fast as I can and possibly risk my own safety. I know I SHOULD do the diver thing but in the desperation of the moment... :o

Just looking for opinions...

Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
06-10-2003, 06:05 AM,
Re:Emergency buddy ascent...
I'd say if they took off fast and you couldn't control them before they took off that you make as "safe" an ascent as possible and deal with the problem on the surface. I wouldn't be rocketing up to the surface out of control with them...especially if you've been at depth for awhile otherwise you'd be putting yourself at great risk of injury or death and then you'll have two potential problems instead of one.
06-10-2003, 08:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-10-2003, 08:34 AM by Skruff.)
Safe accent is the best choice in my mind. What good are you at the surface if you give your self an injury trying to keep up. Your more help if your not bent.....

I've never taken a rescue course and am curious if this is the type of thing it covers??? Anyone want to fill me in?????
Chris Bloss
06-10-2003, 08:51 AM,
O.K... so if you happen to be spearfishin' when you see your buddy begin his rapid ascent if they're out of hands grasp but within' spearing distance do you aim for a fin to snag em'? Big Grin
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
06-10-2003, 09:12 AM,
You should be watching your buddy for signs of stress before and during the dive. Hopefully you can catch the problem before the person panics. If they do panic you need to maintain a safe ascent rate and manage your deco obligations. However, if you are doing a safety stop at 15ft and see your buddy on the surface, face forward with no reg in their mouth, you have to make a judgement call.
--Jason
06-10-2003, 10:16 AM,
Jean -

Exactly that happened to me in Coz. our group decended and I witnessed that scenario and there was zero indication prior to the panic and emergency ascent from 50'. The person was in fact my buddy for the day and we decented to do a 60' reef dive. we exchanged OK signals and were facing eachother during decent. when we hit 50' he immediatley shot for the surface, no hand signals, communication there was trouble nor anything. just pure panic. I missed his fin at 35' as I was trying to chase but stopped as he was full bore finning towards the surface. I let him go. The Divemaster in our group watched it happen, looked at me and then the other diver and saluted as if saying, whatever happens now will be fate. The diver was OK but my choise and the Divemaster's was not to be a possible victim as well --- Tough choice in a split second but this guy was heading up like a rocket and not a "catchable" speed.

Good luck...
06-25-2003, 10:12 PM,
Sorry I haven't answered this before, been away from the computer for awhile. I would agree that your primary responsibility is to yourself and that by making a controlled safe ascent to the surface you will be in a position to help your buddy on the surface. Also if something were to happen to you on ascent there would be two people who need help with the possibility that know one knows your in trouble. By the way Skruff this is exactly the kind of thing we cover in the NAUI rescue class.
06-26-2003, 12:40 PM,
The PADI rescue diver course teaches the same thing. Take care of yourself first, perform a safe ascent, and then render first aid at the surface once you get there. You can't do anyone any good if you are disabled on the surface as well.