Lost Password Register

turtle fins v. jet fins
06-06-2003, 09:11 AM,
turtle fins v. jet fins
Any compelling features/differences to recommend
one over the other?

06-06-2003, 09:21 AM,
Re:turtle fins v. jet fins
The Turtles are not as stiff as the jets. I wish the Turtles were more stiff as these are the fins I regularly use with my drysuit. I would recommend the jets if you can get them to fit, and are looking for a short powerful fin. However the Turtles are better than 99% of the fins out there so these are a very acceptable option. I would think SDT would have a pair to loan you to try out. Ask Rich. He usually has these in stock.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
06-08-2003, 05:00 PM,

i rented the turtles this weekend from SDT.

WOW.

quite a difference from split fins. my only problem was removing them...they so tight i had to use both hands
and really crank on them to remove them.

also, spring heels are totally awesome!

is the foot box on the jetfins smaller than the turtles?

tx,
-chrisw
06-08-2003, 05:24 PM,

is the foot box on the jetfins smaller than the turtles?

tx,
-chrisw
[/quote]
Yeah, the Jet footpockets are smaller. If you have a shoe size over 10 I'd say you are most likely going to need Turtles because the Jet's will be too tight. I love the Turtles. I'm on my second pair in less than two months because I lost one in Superior over Memorial Day. :Smile
06-08-2003, 07:38 PM,
Even though it is almost a universal opinion that turtle's are bigger the XL jets, just the foot pocket is bigger. I have turtles and XL jets hanging in the basement. Overall the jets are about 2" longer than the turtles and about an inch longer in the fin section. The width of the turtles is about 1/2" wider than the jets. I use the jets for diving wet and the turtles for diving dry. The jets are definitely a stiffer fin and may be more uncomfortable when doing a lot of finning.

JoelW
06-19-2003, 08:58 PM,
One thing I noticed is that you definately don't want a fin pocket that fits real snug on your foot. Especially for drysuit diving. While I can fit my rockboots into my quattro fins, the fit is snug. This makes it uncomfortable in the drysuit because you don't get adequate air into the foot to eliminate squeeze. When finning a lot like Joel mentioned it made for an uncomfortable dive and my feet were sore on top not to mention cold. With my turtles the foot pocket has quite a bit of extra room but the fin stays on securely with the spring straps and it allows adequate air to get into the feet and remove the squeeze making my feet warmer and more comfortable.