Remember me
Lost Password Register

Green Lake by Spicer
04-06-2002, 03:31 PM,
Green Lake by Spicer
I recently moved to what seems to be the only part of our state of 10,000 lakes that has no lakes.  The closest I find of merit is Green Lake by Spicer.  Just wondering if anyone has every dove this lake and has any information on it.
04-06-2002, 05:40 PM,
Re: Green Lake by Spicer
Never dived there myself but I checked the DNR lake survey and it shows Green Lake has a max depth of 110 ft. and water clarity is rated at 10.5 ft.
04-16-2002, 07:24 PM,
I've got a nieghbor that might have dove it. I live in Sleepy Eye and though there is a lake here and even two others in the county with fish in them, I know how you feel. I'm willing to try to dive it with you if you give it a shot. I'm guessing that the sooner the better for visibility. The ice should be off now.<br><br>Mike
04-17-2002, 02:22 PM,
Mike - yes, I suppose early would be better but due to several factors I avoid cold water diving.  I will see what it looks like about June.  Still haven't found any place around here to get my tanks refilled. Looking.
07-19-2002, 10:39 AM,
I don't know if you ever got to dive Green Lake. I've been in it a couple of times 5 or 6 years ago. I recall the viz being pretty good. My Aunt and Uncle have had a cabin there for years but they didn't have any ideas for interesting underwater stuff.<br><br>
08-19-2002, 08:20 AM,
Re:Green Lake by Spicer
Isn't Green Lake, SPicer, the lake where the ice for the Ice Palace use to come from?<br>Anyway, I dove it with a buddy from St. Cloud, about three years ago. We had about 7'-12' vis, depending on depth and wind direction. Found the closest thing to wall diving in a lake I've encountered. A drop-off from 12'-70' in short order, but it got real dark, real quick, didn't think to grab bigger lights, duh! I would like to go back, according to a local map, there was suppose to be a couple of sunken islands that also had great drop-offs, one to 100'+ I believe? (Thanks Karl, I had a great time, Homey)<br>Anyone else?
&quotOh Honey, your'e gonna like this&quot
Ray &amp B
09-16-2002, 12:27 PM,
Re:Green Lake by Spicer
I live on the SE corner of Green Lake. I dive it it several times a year.

The visablility is pretty poor during the summer months due to all the active algae, it litterly turns the lake green, hence the name.

If you're planning a dive on Green Lake, try to do it during the sprint of fall, the algea dies off and you can get up to 30' visability. We are planning to dive it in mid-late October and continue as long as weather permits. Green Lakes topography is very busy. You can be in 5' of water one minute and over 100' the next. I would encourage anyone to purchase the lake map from on of the local sports centers in Spicer.. or download it from the DNR's Lake Findre web page.

Most of the nice walls are boat accessable only... unless you are 3/4 fish. It would be a long, long swim to any of it's sunken Islands. However, there are several shore dive locations that offer lot's to see and are around 30-50'. Just email me if you're interested and I'll help you out.

Here is another dive lake in the area. George Lake (5 miles from Green Lake) is a small lake, but offers nice clarity (10-20'). Seems to be a local dive favorite. I have been swimming and snorkeling here, but have yet to dive it.... maybe this fall. I hear that it get's pretty deep right off the public boat landing (only 1 landing on the lake).