Remember me
Lost Password Register

Woman Lake? (Hackensack/Longville)
07-02-2002, 06:32 AM,
Woman Lake? (Hackensack/Longville)
Do you have any experience diving in Woman Lake (near Hackensack and Longville, MN)? <br><br>Vis, anything to see?<br><br>Thanks
07-02-2002, 08:32 AM,
Re: Woman Lake? (Hackensack/Longville)
Hey Bogeyboy,<br>I've not been diving in woman lake but I have been on it with the watercraft a few years ago.  It's a clear lake and I would expect vis to be pretty good.. maybe 10 - 15 feet.  There's a good restaurant/bar right on the east side of the lake in town, not far from the boat landing.  When are you going to be there?  I'll be near there sometimes during the week of 8th - 14th July, north of there near Federal Dam.. I'm planning on diving the river (from the lake side) that goes through there.. the water is super clear.  Don't know of any dive shops in the area.. maybe Walker? I'm also considering going toward Crosby for a swim.<br><br>Fred Johnson<br>
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-02-2002, 10:11 AM,
Hi, Fred,<br><br>I'll be staying at a resort on the west end of the lake the week of July 8-12. I think you're correct that Woman Lake is relatively clear, but don't know if there's anything worth seeing.<br><br>The river near Federal Dam sounds interesting. I would be curious to hear more about that.<br><br>I'm not sure about dive shops in the area, but figured Brainerd would be the closest.<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>Rick (Bogeyboy)
07-02-2002, 10:23 AM,
I know the area having some having relatives that live a few miles from it. Probably good visibility. Typical things you will see in most fishing lakes.
Leon
07-02-2002, 12:39 PM,
Bogeyboy,<br>The river moves slowly and has very clear water, is not very deep.. maybe to 15' max, possibly 20', lots of weeds and I have seen some fishermen take some big fish out of it.  Have to stay out of the main channel I suppose as there will be boat traffic but there are other side channels.  The reason I'm going is for one I'll be close.. by boat it's only about 3 miles, the vis should be great (especially compared to Leech), and hopefully I'll see some fish.I'll also be doing a little homework on Leech lake looking for any kinda drop offs and features that might be interesting.  It's got some rocky shoreline that would be nice if it drops off close to shore and some islands that could be interesting.  I think there is like a 160' + hole near Walker.. a little out of my element right now.  I'll have a boat up there (way on the north end) so I can get around... the hassle will be getting diving equipment so more then likely I'll be visiting the bottom sans the tank and bc.  It'll be a 75 mile drive for me to Crosby, more to Brainard from where I'll be.<br><br>Fred Johnson
07-09-2002, 12:05 PM,
checked out the vis on the river and the lake.  After the huge rain that fell two nights ago it's all terrible...  I've seen it much better.  I'm considereing a trip to Bad Medicine or over the Crosby now.<br><br>Fred Johnson
07-13-2002, 12:22 PM,
I made a dive in Woman Lake 7/11/02, and wasn't great. Vis was only 5-6 ft. due to heavy rains in the days before. Saw only crayfish on a shallow bar.
07-13-2002, 04:12 PM,
There is a lake by Hackensack called 10 Mile Lake. The vis was good when I was there last year, piles of fish, and rumor has it there is an old mining camp, but I never saw it. This lake is also very deep in spots, but I had a good time diving it.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
07-16-2002, 04:22 PM,
10 mile is a great dive site avg vis 20-25ft plus. you can get some depth too well past 130 and 200 in some places.<br><br>Ill have to look at the areil pics I have of 10 mile to see if I see any u/w structure that looks like a mill. Ive dove alot of 10 mile over teh course of 10 plus years from 1 end to another and never saw a mill.
07-16-2002, 05:19 PM,
My understanding is that it is just an old camp, not a mill. It is supossed to be only 10-15 ft deep, but since it is so shallow all traces have probably been taken or covered. MSD shopowner Bill said he dove it before everyone knew what Scuba was. He came to the surface and an old fisherman thought he was a lake monster and tried to club him with an oar. He tried to give me directions to where it is, but I never located it. But then I never looked to hard either. I'm afraid if I found it I would be tempted to take an artifact, and since I know this should not be done, I figure if it stays lost, at least I won't be tempted to "take something home".
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom