Remember me
Lost Password Register

Awesome Dive!!
07-20-2003, 03:44 PM,
Awesome Dive!!
Three of us went diving in Big Cormorant Lake Saturday evening. We went along in 8-10 feet of water a ways, then it slowly dropped to around 18 feet. We came upon some tall weeds and started seeing bullheads here and there. As we ascended to go over the top of the weeds we noticed more of them. Then I realized I was touching and bumping something with my fins. When I looked behind us, all I could see were literally HUNDREDS of bullheads following us :o They came in and started "tasting" our fins, gauges, flag line, legs and anything else you didn't hide from them. They were definitely not afraid of us or of anything that we did. We could pet them and poke them and they wouldn't go away. It was an awesome dive to say the least as they followed us the entire dive which lasted over an hour. If I stopped and ran my hand along the bottom stirring it up the bullheads would totally engulf my hands looking for food. Then I found a clam, broke it open with my knife and I was completely surrounded by them. Keep in mind that these were all pushing the 1-2 lb size, some bigger than I have ever seen. My mask was unseated a few times from them hitting it. Needless to say, the tiny clam didn't last very long. It was one of those memorable lake dives that I will never forget and I hope to get back out there and see if they are always around that area or if it was just a fluke. Where's the camera when you need it??? I will definitely bring it with when I go back.
07-21-2003, 07:38 AM,
Re:Awesome Dive!!
Let me know where that lake is at. Couldn't find it on MapPoint. Sounds like a pretty cool dive.
Chris Bloss
07-21-2003, 07:43 AM,
The DNR has a lake finder, where you can search for lakes (you have to know the county though) It gives water clarity, fish info, and maps of many lakes.
07-21-2003, 11:36 AM,

Big Cormorant Lake is about 15 miles southwest of Detroit Lakes MN. We went in on the public access at the Landing Bar and took the boat west just past the point of land and did the dive there.