Remember me
Lost Password Register

diver review/rating
08-07-2003, 07:23 AM,
diver review/rating
When I've been diving lately, I've noticed some things that other divers do that could be improved, but I never say anything out of fear of insulting them. I'm sure other divers notice the same thing about me, but also don't say anything. I was wondering if there's any interest in setting up some type of generic performance review to send to dive buddies. If it's not too difficult, maybe even a webpage with some type of checklist or rating system, that can then send an annonymous (if desired) e-mail or message to that person. I don't know much about webpage design, but I would volunteer to design a page like that (which I might end up regretting, I program and that's frustrating enough), if there's any interest in it and after talking to the owner of this site.
08-07-2003, 08:41 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2003, 08:45 AM by LKunze.)
Re:diver review/rating
Hmm...I think you should just say something man. Heck, I remember when I was a total newbie and went diving with Jason Baker for my first couple dives after certification he used to scold me for kicking up the silt and for not keeping my hands together in front of me and not having them flailing about looking like a total idiot. Big Grin I appreciated the feedback though, and used it to improve my diving. After about 5 or 10 dives later I felt much more comfortable and was on the right track. In my mind that's how it should be. You can learn a lot from diving with good divers. I learned more from getting out and diving and watching good divers than I have in any single class. Not that classes are bad, it's just that classes have time limitations. Anyone who gets mad or rejects personal feedback are divers you'll know you will want to avoid diving with again. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you are diving with a new diver you need to expect that their skill level is going to be lower so offer them some friendly tips. Just my two cents. Smile
08-07-2003, 08:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2003, 09:11 AM by scott.)
When I'm diving with the buddy I usually dive with, I usually do just say something, but I don't say anything if I don't really know them. I was also thinking more of trying to get reviews of my own diving, rather than using it to criticize others. I've been diving for awhile, but I'm sure there's stuff I could do better that I just don't notice.
08-07-2003, 09:13 AM,
hey... I appreciate criticism.. at least constructive criticism. I would think that this would be most typical of a fellow diver. I know some folks don't take criticism well or if you don't know the person as a regular buddy then it may be better to present it in a different way...you might say something like "you know, since I threw away my freediving fins when I'm scuba diving I don't unknowingly silt it up so bad behind me anymore..." (truth be told.. I don't think I can give up my freediving fins Sad ).. or "I find that if I stay about 3-5 feet off the bottom (if vis allows) and frog kick it doesn't kick up one bit of silt" Or, sometimes... if you're scuba diving with lwright Wink you gotta just grab onto one of his fins before he's outta sight and tell him to slow the heck down. ;D
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-07-2003, 09:25 AM,
Lonnie, for sure Jason turned you into a good scubadiver.. I remember following you guys in Paul Lake (where we could see..) .. impressive.. that's what I try to emulate now..so just diving with good divers without anything being said can help for us newbies. ;D (I don't remember that you said anything... probably in one ear and out the other if you did Smile ) Tonights my first scuba dive since that weekend.. I was going to use the scuba fins..but.... I .... don't..... think.... I ...... can.......I love my fins :-\ I'll try..
Fred
08-07-2003, 09:29 AM,

I second that on LWright...Man , can he motor!!!

I agree with what Lonnie and Fred are saying. Just tell them (nicely , of course). I was "scolded" by many who I dove with. But they did it very nicely and I "hopefully" learned something in the process which I am VERY GRATEFUL for!!! So my thanks to all my "teachers" out there!

Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
08-07-2003, 09:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2003, 09:54 AM by Dan G.)
I think I will create a bumper sticker for my tank "How's my Diving? Maybe then people will feel free to give me the kind of feed back I need to become a better diver. Smile

Dan
08-07-2003, 09:59 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2003, 10:01 AM by ChrisW.)
yeah...
How's my diving? Dial 1-800-EAT-FISH

i know i got rid of my split fins and bc due to all
the advice i received...and i hardly ever dog paddle anymore
08-07-2003, 10:18 AM,
LOL!!! ;D
08-07-2003, 10:38 AM,
How's my Diving. Dial 1-800 .... I'd take 2 of those bumber stickers! !