Remember me
Lost Password Register

diver review/rating
08-07-2003, 11:01 AM,
Re:diver review/rating
hey chris,

can you put a 1-800 sticker for sale in the mnscuba store?
08-07-2003, 12:43 PM,
You could always try what I have been doing these days. Since I usually have my video camera along I have asked the person I am diving with if they want a cut of themselves e-mailed. My poor choice of 1000 words doesn't remotely compare to a couple of megs of images.

But, I also have people I am with video me so that I can see how I am doing. A couple of weeks ago I dropped 6 pounds of lead after seeing how much air I had in my wing. With a steel plate and a steel 95 I now wear 6lb of lead with heavy undies under my drysuit. Sweet.

By the way, at the start of the season I offered to do video of anyone who wanted it. For free no less. When the lakes start to clear again I am still willing to give up my time and suffer through having to dive if someone wants some video.

JoelW
08-07-2003, 02:31 PM,
Joel, I'm definitely interested in the offer. I'll even up the ante by offering to stream the videos on the net at Digital North for any interested divers.

BTW, do you mean that you only use 6lbs total on your belt with the ss backplate, tank, and heavy undies? If so we need to talk because I must be doing something seriously wrong.
--Jason
08-07-2003, 04:00 PM,
Joel,

I'm definitely interested in taking you up on that offer as well. I just got back into diving after being away for a couple of years and know I have a lot of "tuning" to do...

I'll up the ante even more and offer up beverages.
PADI - AOW, DPV, Dry Suit, Wreck, TDI Nitrox
65 Dives and growing.
Deepest Dive - 132' Lighthouse, Bonaire
Deepest Wreck - 130' Hilma Hooker, Bonaire
08-08-2003, 08:27 AM,
It sounds a bit like a date. When the lakes start to clear back up a bit, probably sometime in September, let's go take some pictures.

On the streaming thing, a couple of weeks ago I was down in southern Missouri and took some video while snorkeling in the creeks. Lots of longears and green sunfish were sitting on their nests with just hatched fry. I also came across a small snapping turtle that I took some video of. You would not believe how long their neck is. Especially when they are angry about being picked up. For something different, it might be interesting to put on a wetsuit and snorkel some of the Rum River north of Anoka.

On the weighting thing, yup, six pounds on a belt with a 6lb ss plate and a steel 95. That is with weezle undies on. When the tank gets empty I am borderline and could probably stand to add a pound or two. I was pretty amazed to see the video of myself and how much air was in the wing at the end of dive. The next week I dropped six pounds from the belt.

JoelW
08-08-2003, 11:45 AM,
Wow, I guess I must be way overweighted too then. I'm gonna try and take some lead off my belt this weekend. I'm using the same setup as you except I am using steel 85's instead of steel 95's.
08-08-2003, 02:09 PM,
It's not hard to figure out. The 95 is -12lbs when full (at 2400psi), his SS plate is -6lbs, plus he's wearing another -6lbs of lead. Total is -24lbs (nothing new there). It's the end of the dive that's more critical.

I've varied between 10lbs and 28lbs (total) with a dry suit - no SS plate. Various undergarments. The more comfortable and the more choices you have the more ideal the weight will become.
08-08-2003, 03:13 PM,
Is it really critical to trim off every extra pound with a dry suit? Seems there is a bit of a safety factor in being a little over weighted - say if you breathe your tank down to 300psi (or even less) in a buddy breathing situation, or after a free flow at depth when you need to breath tank way down to get a safety stop. You would want a little extra weight with the lighter than normal tank.
Also, I'm finding that just a little more weight allows a little more suit inflation and a lot more warmth. I'm not talking gross overweighting (I'm using 16 integrated, 6 BP with AL80 with heaviest undies), but why all the rage about getting as "thin" as you can. Seems moderation, comfort, safety and PERSONAL PREFERENCE are reasonable factors rather than just going bulemic.
I know a diver whose goal is great form, another who likes his suit tight, and another who doesn't care and likes warmth and trying different things (me). All are valid approaches.
Dan L
08-08-2003, 03:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2005, 06:22 AM by LKunze.)
Good points Dan.  Whatever's comfortable is probably best.  Unless you have to inflate your wing all the way you're probably alright with a little extra weight.  Personally I don't feel I'm overweighted to the point of having bad trim in the water so I'm probably fine.  I still may try and shed a couple pounds on a dive just to see how it feels.  Currently I wear 20lbs. on a belt, 6lb. SS BP and a steel tank. 
08-08-2003, 04:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-08-2003, 05:01 PM by JoelW.)
I have to protest a bit about the "thin" comment. At 220 I am anything but heroin chic.

The point of this was more along the lines of, I saw video of myself at the end of a dive and the wing had a lot more air in it than I felt it needed for a mostly empty tank. Without the feedback I wouldn't have changed a thing. As it was, I was able to dump 6 pounds and maintain buoyancy, trim and warmth at previous levels. For thinner I undies I don't drop any weight. So in that case I am a little heavy.

Either way, if you don't have feedback of somekind: verbal or visual, you won't know if there is something that can be modified or improved.

I think of myself as rubenesque.

JoelW

p.s. I forgot the 2# STA