Remember me
Lost Password Register

PADI/TDI
01-20-2004, 01:56 PM,
PADI/TDI
I just got my nitrox certification from TDI. Is there any reason why I would also want to get certified from PADI also? Is TDI accepted everywhere?
01-20-2004, 03:58 PM,
Re:PADI/TDI

You can get a cross-over certification...Probably just the cost of the PADI card (I THINK?) You can call SD&T to make sure. I know I can cross-over from PADI to TDI without any trouble (I know I have to obtain *BOTH* for my DM stuff...I certify to PADI and cross over to TDI etc...)

Jean Smile

P.S. Congrats on the cert.
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
01-20-2004, 04:09 PM,
Yeah, they should cross over. It would be a total waste of money and a scam if it were required to pay for a course twice just because they are from different agencies.
01-20-2004, 04:10 PM,
IF your just looking to get a nitrox fill both cards will do the trick.

The PADI course is more involved than the entry level TDI course, but less involved than the TDI advanced nitrox course. The PADI course also requires dives, where as the entry level TDI course is just class work.

Agian, if you just want to get your tanks filled, the TDI card will be enough.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
01-20-2004, 04:20 PM,
Not trying to bash anything here but what's the point of requiring dives for basic open water nitrox? ???
01-20-2004, 04:30 PM,

Ah , PADI: Put Another Dollar In!!! However , I did get to test my OWN nitrox mixture before each dive. Nice to do it with an instructor the 1st time.

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
01-20-2004, 08:55 PM,

Ah , PADI: Put Another Dollar In!!! However , I did get to test my OWN nitrox mixture before each dive. Nice to do it with an instructor the 1st time.

Jean
[/quote]

I have TDI Nitrox, we did it all class since their really is no practical open water application other than making sure someone doesn't drop below their hard floor. I also, as everyone should, tested my own cylinder for O2 content and filled in the labels myself.

I'm sticking with my one TDI Card, it appears to be accepted universally. PADI just seems to have a better marketing machine than the other agencies.
PADI - AOW, DPV, Dry Suit, Wreck, TDI Nitrox
65 Dives and growing.
Deepest Dive - 132' Lighthouse, Bonaire
Deepest Wreck - 130' Hilma Hooker, Bonaire
01-21-2004, 09:08 AM,

What do you mean by "more involved"? I took the entry level
TDI Nitrox and we learned the math underlying the tables and
how to calculate our own best mix, mod and dose. Does PADI
do more than that?

(curious and interested...not flaming)

-chris
01-21-2004, 10:32 AM,
You also learn to track your OTU's- something that TDI doesn't cover until Advanced nitrox. If your doing recreational dives and keeping your MOD's to 1.4 I guess there isn't much use to it, but it's still nice to know.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
01-21-2004, 11:07 AM,
Here's the real deal on the difference between PADI and TDI nitrox. Both courses are fine for recreation nitrox diving. I have traveled throughout the world with both cards and have never been turned away for either certification. Some people can say that one is more in depth than the other, but it really comes down to what the instructor puts into it. TDI deffinitely gives the instructor more flexibility to go above and beyond what is covered in the book, wheras it is against PADI standards to go outside of their cariculum. I teach both programs and accept both cards at the store, but I deffinitely give more merrit to those with TDI cards. This is mainly because TDI is geared more towards technical diving and in general I have found that TDI instructors are usually more knowledgable than your basic PADI open water instructor. I'm not slamming PADI instructors, again this is a generalization. The reason most instructors are TDI is because they are technical divers and go beyond just stepping off of the back of a boat in the tropics. Long story short, either card will suit most divers just fine. Remember this is about having fun. Don't stress about which card you are holding, instead spend that time goinig out and having fun in the water.

Happy Diving,
Richard
Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net