Remember me
Lost Password Register

VR3 dive computer
04-09-2003, 03:00 PM,
VR3 dive computer
I want to know what divers think of the VR3 dive computer. from divers that have used them. Did you like it, would you recommend it to other tech divers and what problems did you find using it. some insight would help, i'm looking at purchasing one for tech diving.

thanks Jason.
04-10-2003, 08:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-10-2003, 08:10 AM by igotoofar.)
Re:VR3 dive computer
I bought one last month, but I have not yet got it wet. On the land it seems that it will allow for easy use underwater. You only have two buttons with 6 choices of how too use them:

Short push Left button
Long push Left button
Short push Right button
Long push Right button
Short push both buttons
Long push both buttons

I like the fact that it is easy to change the mix you are breathing, and yet it would be extremely unlikely that the VR3 could be inadvertently changed to a different mix without intentionally depressing the button.
08-21-2003, 07:09 AM,
I've been diving a VR3 (for the past 16 dives) and really enjoy it. I've the 'wet link' which connects the computer into the Dolphin SCR counter lung with an O2 sensor, which tracks my FO2 and decompression time on the fly. It also has a nice Dive Planner mode.

The negatives? The dive manual, well, takes awhile to get used to and understand (it could be much better) and although the battery & compartment are supposed to be user friendly, it is not friendly with me. A couple of nights ago I wanted to change the battery, the manual suggests it can be "accessed using a coin or a screwdriver." Yeah, right! Eventually I opened it with a Stanley "Mini Wonderbar" with much cosmetic damage to the screw cap. Now I cannot get it properly closed as the two "O" rings keep popping out of the threads! Grrrr. I did get the battery in and enough pressure on the cap to get the VR3 to start up again but it seems to have misplaced my dives logged and thinks it's 1996.

Does anyone have a good method for removing and replacing the battery cap? Something I can pick up at my local hardware store vs. having it machined? Let me know!

Over all, I'd buy it again. It is a very versatile computer will cover most, if not all, of my near future diving needs. I also dive with a Mosquito (OC & SRC) and Aladdin Air X (OC) and I like those as well, although I wish my Aladdin was upgradable to Nitrox!
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
08-21-2003, 07:12 AM,
I believe you may have the older battery cap. They have come out with a newly designed cap that is plastic. It uses a special tool with two prongs to remove it but I think people have been having better luck with them.
08-21-2003, 07:39 AM,
Per chance, do you know where I can locally purchase said cap & tool? Thanks.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
08-21-2003, 07:56 AM,
Somebody I know had their VR3 in to Delta P to get fixed and it came back with the new cap in place. I don't know for sure what the availability is for purchase. GUDC could probably try to order one for you with their next shipment. Unfortunately special orders from England usually come with a high price.
04-09-2004, 01:45 PM,
I just got my VR3 back from the UK.

They upgrade the software, installed the Big Graphics feature, and a Wet Link. I was supprised to see a new cap on the battery.

Now I have to see if I can make a tool that fits those slots.