Remember me
Lost Password Register

Drysuit latex neck seals
08-12-2003, 05:16 AM,
Re:Drysuit latex neck seals
You can order unscented talc from a pharmacy. A $20 container should last several years.
08-12-2003, 09:52 AM,
Something to think about:

I always carry an extra neck seal and contact adhesive in my spare parts kit. I can repalce a neck seal and be ready to dive in less that 2 hours including glue drying time. I think we have seals and glue in stock. Beats having a backup dry suit.

Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net
08-12-2003, 12:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-12-2003, 12:23 PM by Derrick.)

Richard,

Do you have a class that teaches drysuit repair? Or maybe instead of only a gear configuration night, add a drysuit repair night. I would be very interested in something like that. I have p-valve and pockets I need to put on my drysuit, but I am afraid of making stupid mistakes that may cost me extra money.

Derrick
08-12-2003, 01:19 PM,
Put me down for one dry suit spare neck seal kit.
--Jason
08-12-2003, 05:32 PM,
Put me down for one old cat
08-14-2003, 10:04 PM,
Jason,

Check with the dive center where you purchased the suit to see if it is under warranty yet and see what the manufacturer recommends for the suit. Example: I have a tropical (light weight) White's suit with ankle seals. White's recommends using Seal Saver from McNett on the ankle seals, while most manufacturers recommend to not use Seal Saver. No cure all for all suits or seals, but pure talc seems to be the most common recommendation.

Dan
08-15-2003, 08:31 AM,
Don't pick on me because I don't know a thing about dry suits :Smile.. but.. what about using a cream rinse mix instead of a powder? seems that would work better if there was any moisture to begin with on the seals. I only ask because with my unlined wetsuits they recommend talc or shampoo but because of the irritations shampoo can cause and because the talc doesn't work when wet, I mix up 1 part cream rinse to about 10 parts water, very slippery.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-15-2003, 09:19 AM,
I've seen a couple people use the hair conditioner/water method on their seals. KY Jelly works great too but a bit embarrassing to go buy at the store. :-[ :Smile Fortunately, I don't really need anything on my wrist seals anymore since I use a dry/glove ring system and the wrist seals don't fit as tight. Before I had the dry gloves though it was a real PITA to get the wrist seals on without lube or powder. I can't imagine anyone needing anything on a neck seal for donning the suit though.
08-15-2003, 12:12 PM,

As far as the neck seal...HAIR!!! (OUCH... :o) I am almost tempted to try Fred's method. However , I have been using powder/talc and it seems to work just fine (most of the time...)

Jean Smile

P.S. And if anyone needs KY Jelly , let me know... Wink
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
08-15-2003, 12:56 PM,

That's what's nice about not having any hair. Wink

LOL! Tongue