Remember me
Lost Password Register

DUMB QUESTION: how to safely remove mold from a silicon mask skirt?
01-21-2004, 06:38 PM,
Re:DUMB QUESTION: how to safely remove mold from a silicon mask skirt?
I forget the name but there is also a product out that is made for cleaning your gear. I think it's like three bucks. You should be able to pick it up at your local dive center. Its in a little plastic container. One time use mix with five gallons of water. It works well. There is also 500PSI wetsuit/BC cleaner. I have never used this product but my dad says he loves it. I think it is pretty much the same thing as I am talking about.
01-21-2004, 06:47 PM,
"I don't know" but would like to ask. I think I heard sulferic acid and vinager mixed togeather work well? Has anyone else heard of such a thing? [glow=red,2,300][/glow]This is a question!!
01-22-2004, 12:55 PM,

hmm. well, THAT sounds like a way to be sure you will buy replacement gear.
01-22-2004, 01:28 PM,
Sulferic acid? Depending on how concentrated could eat right through your gear. You gotta be careful what you put that stuff on. It reacts with water so I'd guess mixing it with anything with water in it would be a bad idea. heh. It causes an exothermic reaction so don't add water to the acid, but slowly add the acid to cold water stirring to dissipate the heat. On silicon, plastic, or neoprene, it is prolly a bad idea. Using it to clean glass might be ok, though probably much stronger then necessary..
Hmm, Sulfuric acid and acetic acid(vinegar)..it doesn't make a stronger acid, but who knows, it may make a good cleaner.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
01-22-2004, 05:49 PM,
Please stay away from sulfuric acid - powerful and dangerous - both from contact and vapors!!!!
Remove mildew? Why not try mildew removing bathroom/shower cleaner. Should work well, and safety info is on container.
Just rinse well and there should be no damage to silicone or glass.
Dan L
02-08-2004, 10:22 PM,
Once a year I disassemble my mask and use hot water, dish soap, and an old toothbrush to clean it. The toothbrush really works well to get into all the crevices and clean away the nasties. ewwww No sulfuric acid needed. Tongue
Hanging up your mask to dry after diving makes a big difference too.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.