Remember me
Lost Password Register

Aug 30-31 Wreck Cert @ Superior
08-25-2003, 07:07 PM,
Re:Aug 30-31 Wreck Cert @ Superior
I won't be doing the wreck cert class but will be up there to enjoy the fun! Looks be a great weekend, both diving and the camping. For those who have not joined us before count on fun evenings around the fire and walks down to the Baptism River to check out the star shows.

Jean...I haven't seen you up on the Maderia yet. Like Bob Barker sez "Come on Down!" Or, "up" in this case Wink

Remember: We camp up in Finland at the state campground (2nd one).
Best to call SD&T to let 'em know who all is coming and to get directions. Rich will be up there in advance since he ran two consecutive Trimix classes up on the Loops this week...jeeze, tough life that guy has! Not sure what the scoop on fills will be so again, check with SD&T for the low down.

See you there!
08-26-2003, 08:12 AM,
Ah , my arm is getting twist marks on it...And the pressure mounts. I am getting weaker...weaker...Just might have to do it to give my arm some relief , don't ya know!!!! Wink

Jean

P.S. I have lived up here all my life and always "north" is up and "south" is down. Crazy midwesterners (I love em).
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
09-02-2003, 09:01 AM,
OK...Someone has to give an update...
My thanks to everyone for a wonderful weekend on the Big Lake!!! I finally got to dive the Maderia on the last wreck dive. I am so glad I finally did!!! (It was my first time ever seeing it).
And my thanks also to all my "rescue-ers" that came over the hill , literally , to lead me to safety. (Boy , is there a story to tell on that one).
Thanks SD&T (Rich and Darin) for a wonderful weekend...And to Chrisw , DanG , Mix , Gramps, Al and the whole crew for making my first Superior wreck diving experience one I will *NEVER FORGET*!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin And congrats to Dan , Chris , Mix (Al) and Al who are now "official" certified wrecks. Wink You guys did just superb!!!

Jean

P.S. Gee...Square is going to feel like a sauna bath...39 degrees down at the wreck...BRRR!!!!! :o
09-03-2003, 07:59 AM,
For those who couldn't make it, we all had a great weekend! Great bunch of folks having fun both diving and enjoying some fantastic weather on the North Shore...I think we had @ 15 people on Saturday night kicking back fireside after a good day of diving. Very cool!

Jean you did great...I don't recall ever seeing anyone snorkel in a dry suit along the shore up there in 1-2ft waves! Sounds like you had a great dive on the wreck. Remember: Lake Superior is a very challenging body of water. The fact that there are VERY LARGE shipwrecks out there is testiment to that. Learn from each experience you have there...it will make you a better diver all around.
09-03-2003, 02:01 PM,
I know I had a great time up on the Madeira., thanks to everyone who made it possible. It was only a 3+ hour drive from the cities on Saturday morning for our 1st dive. My buddy DanG had the bad luck of a free flow which was safely handled by the most excellent Darin.

The 2nd dive we swam around the wreck and had to remove our reels, I have a little finger spool that I dropped! Then as I sucked my tank down I became too buoyant...but a little weight cured that problem. We went on to camp, eat, drink, stargaze (having a terrific time) was back at the wreck at 11 on Sunday for dive 3.

We followed the divemasters out on their reels to find the pilothouse. We didn't want to leave the pilothouse but the rule is if your are running the reel you're suppose to be first out and last back! The dive plan was to tie off to the wreck, go out 20 kicks and then reel backup. I tied off ok but it was hard not to become all tangled up reeling in.

On our last dive we had to tie off on the wreck twice, do a penetration into the wreck and tie off again inside and then come out. My turn was last and boy did it get cold waiting! (38 degrees?) I went in and out of the wreck ok and then we had to swim back but ran out of air.

We surfaced and saw Jean soaking up the sun on the rocks next to the beach like she was in Cozumel!

Swimming out to the wreck was hardest part for me. We tried surface swimming but it was too rough so we got to the wreck by pulling along the rocks off the bottom at 15 ft. This seemed to be easier and I sure built up my frog kick muscles!

On the way home I stopped at the Split Rock river Superior hiking trail and did the loop. There were lots of falls, vistas, hills and other cool stuff but I had to run part of the way because it was getting dark (and all my lights were with my dive gear.)
09-03-2003, 08:33 PM,
Hey, I waved to you guys from the stern buoy on Sunday morning - and in my spiffy new 905 no less. ;D
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
09-04-2003, 10:43 AM,
905s rock!!
09-04-2003, 12:17 PM,

Ah , I beg to differ!!!! (darn 905's...they are taking over the world)

Jean Wink
09-05-2003, 07:42 PM,

Ah , I beg to differ!!!! (darn 905's...they are taking over the world)

Jean Wink
[/quote]

Jean,

You're just a conformist with that DUI stuff....

905's rule.
PADI - AOW, DPV, Dry Suit, Wreck, TDI Nitrox
65 Dives and growing.
Deepest Dive - 132' Lighthouse, Bonaire
Deepest Wreck - 130' Hilma Hooker, Bonaire
09-06-2003, 08:21 AM,
How about a contest of some sort. 905ers vs. DUIers (Is that a word???). We can also have an others team if anybody doesn't have one of the above. Maybe this Wed night at square. What do you guys think????
Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net