Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rip Tide in Lake Superior
08-18-2003, 10:16 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2003, 10:18 AM by LKunze.)
Rip Tide in Lake Superior
Found this story in the news today.
08-18-2003, 11:43 AM,
Re:Rip Tide in Lake Superior
Has anyone ever encountered or heard of such conditions at the popular North Shore dive sites? Or for that matter, any Lake Superior dive locations? Just curious.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
08-18-2003, 12:07 PM,
Good question. I know if I saw some big wave action I certainly wouldn't attempt a dive though that's for sure. I heard some divers last year were unable to swim out to the Madeira wreck and were slammed into the rocks at the cliff. Not sure how big the waves were.
08-25-2003, 01:26 PM,
A group of us were diving on the Ely in Two Harbors on 8/23 and observed a really nasty current at the sea wall. Conditions on the wreck were calm and clear. Later in the day, a wind shift ocurred (and a freigher left the harbor). Shortly after that there was a mean current going around the southwest corner of the sea wall (where there is a narrow gap between the wall and the shore). Although conditions on the wreck were not affected much, I'm sure that anyone who would happen to get to close the the end of the sea wall would have been swept out of the harbor and into deeper water.
11-10-2003, 07:23 AM,
I was diving the Madiera on this day and can attest to the strong currents. Getting to the wreck seemed very laboreous but that was only the beginning. the dive to the pilot house at 80-90' had to be aborted. We decided to stay close to the bow I believe in about 50-60 '. Once we began our journey back to shore things got real bad underwater at 15-20', we then surfaced to swim. This was exhausting and might I say stupid to be diving in such conditions. I very glad I learned my lesson without anyone getting hurt. As the article you linked us to shows not all were as lucky as I. Sorry so late replying but Im new to this Forum. MJ
11-10-2003, 08:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-10-2003, 08:51 AM by LKunze.)
MJ, welcome to the board! So how strong was the current down deeper vs. in the shallower depths? That would be awfully scary to feel a fairly strong current down deep at the pilot house knowing that out from that point it only gets deeper. :o
11-10-2003, 09:28 AM,
The current at the pilot house was not so strong but a steady pull out to sea. I was a bit nervous so we opted for shallower water. Like I said this dive difficulty was very decieving in that you were committed before you knew how bad it was. One swimmer and many others had to be rescued that day, just goes to show that conditions should be carefully considered in such a large cold body of water!!!
11-10-2003, 11:07 AM,
Actually from what I've seen the currents at the Madeira are different from Day to Day. We've been up there in November & December where the water is like glass. But then this July we had to help a couple people who got washed up on the rocks. (I won't say who) So I haven't really noticed a seasonal change out there.
11-11-2003, 08:55 AM,
Keep in mind that if the current is a bit strong you can drop to the bottom and do a little "Lake Superior Rockin." In other words you can use the hand-over-hand technique to pull yourself along the bottom. Your not going to hurt the rocks. Your have to be careful about grabbing onto the wreck but the rocks won't mind. This technique is a bit hard on neoprene gloves but the blue dry gloves seem to take it well.
Then again there are days at the Madeira where one should thumb the dive just looking at the water.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
02-21-2004, 10:53 AM,
I lived my teens and 20s in Duluth and spent alot of time swimming at Park Point. Its sad that this had to happen for people to realize that The Great Lakes are more like oceans than they are like lakes..especially Lake Superior. It seems like they were playing around in some pretty rough water. Craziness...I can attest to the fact that even when you are dealing with3 ft surf, that the backflow of water off the beach..even though it may only be 6" to 12" deep can easily knock you off your feet. As a captain, i spend alot of time on Lake Michigan...Granted, I dont run a big boat...but even in what seems to be calm conditions...you can get tossed around like a superball if you arent careful. Keep in mind..this is big water..if you forgot, remember what happened to the Socrates back in the late 80's.

Just be safe and use your best judgement.
dive safe..dive often
Dean
Oops Did I really say that?????