Remember me
Lost Password Register

Deco Software
08-20-2003, 01:45 PM,
Deco Software
Has anyone used any of the Palm based deco software?

I think Decoplanner has a palm version, are there any others?

Seems like it would be a lot easier to carry my Palm along than a laptop.
08-21-2003, 07:43 PM,
Re:Deco Software
I use GUE's dPlanner, Palm format...love it! Easy to use, well detailed, and I feel great after the dives! Smile
With my bottom timer and the dive plan and back-ups mapped out on the wrist slate, I really don't use my computer at all anymore. Really keeps me sticking to the schedual. I hated using charts so when I learned GUE, an organization I trust when it comes to recommendations on deco profiles, offered easy to use deco software based on their extensive experiences and knowlege, I jumped on it.
08-22-2003, 08:07 AM,
I also have GUE's d-plan and I love it for its easy to use, no-nonsense interface. One thing you have to keep in mind with D-plan is that it uses a modified Buhlmann algorhythm (modified in that it tries to behave more like a VPM model). You will have to play with the GF's to tweak the profile to your liking, and you'll also have to add some deeper stops as well to make the curve more efficient. For example, depending on GF settings D-plan will give you your first deep stop at about 60% of max depth; this means you'll have to include some stops at 80% of max depth for your first deep stops. Also, shaving of some time off of the shallower stops (when adding the deeper stops) will help with the correct profile.

The nice thing about the software is that GUE's standard mixes are already preprogrammed, and so it recommends the mixes to use for the particular depth/time you input.
Another nice feature is that it tells you at what depth (again, according to the Buhlmann model) you effectively will start offgassing - something to keep in mind during the ascent to keep that ascent rate in check.

Customer support as always is impeccable.
08-22-2003, 08:29 AM,
I probably know the answer to this, but can the GUE software do constant partial pressure profiles?
08-22-2003, 08:44 AM,

I'm not sure about Decoplanner, but I know D-plan won't. I believe Phi Le has a Palm based decoprogram that does do constant PP's - not sure about his website, but I think he's linked from .
08-22-2003, 11:44 AM,
What kind of Palm's are you guys using to run D-Plan? Do you need a high end model or would a cheaper model be good enough? Just curious.
08-22-2003, 12:02 PM,

I'm running an m125, which comes with the latest PalmOS, but I know that the m100 (which should be around $100 if still available) works great too.
One thing I do like about the m125 is that it comes with user replaceable batteries instead of rechargeable ones, which means I can change 'em out in the field (I always keep some spare batteries in my toolbox).
08-22-2003, 04:08 PM,
I use a palm V which I bought for $40 used. I love the rechargeable batteries. I had a previous palm VII with replaceable batteries and I couldn't stand it. I use the palm V ten times a day and could easily go a week without a recharge.
--Jason
08-23-2003, 03:56 PM,
I have an M100 that I bought on close-out for $75. I run D-plan on it for my dives. A good friend of mine gave me a hard time because I bought such a cheap one, where as he spent well over $300 for his. I told him that this thing is going on dive boats and will surely get a tank dropped on it sooner or later,so I wanted to be able to replace it cheap! He has since backed over his fancy palm :'(, and is now on his second. I am still on my first el-cheapo and have had no problems.

IF you have a fanicer model I know that you can get hook-ups to turn them into a GPS or an 02 analyzer. I think it might even be possible to use them for analyzing He2, but I'd have to double check that one.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin