Remember me
Lost Password Register

Pacific NW Diver headed to Lake Okoboji in need of info!
08-21-2003, 01:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2003, 01:47 PM by Dive_Girl.)
Pacific NW Diver headed to Lake Okoboji in need of info!
Hi there! I'm a Pacific Northwest diver who will be visiting family in your area and was looking at getting some dives in at Lake Okoboji. I have tried some online research and found this forum. Who better to ask about dive sites than local divers!!??

I was wondering what kind of water temps, viz and terrain I can expect? Is there a thermocline? What type of exposure protection do people typically wear this time of year? I dive year-round in water temps ranging from 36-52 degree water in a 6/7mil wetsuit (have a drysuit too, but don't think it'll be necessary). Are there different dive sites located in the lake? What kinds of fish life can I expect? Are there dive flag laws I need to be aware of or are dive sites pretty well seperate from boat traffic? And of course anything else that you think would be helpful for me to know.

Phew! Don't forget the kitchen sink! Thanks much in advance!! Big Grin
----------------------------------
Think OUTSIDE the limits of dry land
08-21-2003, 02:01 PM,
Re:Pacific NW Diver headed to Lake Okoboji in need of info!
Well, you have come to the right place! We have a resident diver who is an authority on Lake Okoboji diving. Feel free to private message Jose. His handle is "josejavierlopez256001". He may respond directly to this post as well. He dives there every month.

Your 7mil wetsuit will work just fine at Okoboji. I would expect water temps to be 70+ at the surface and maybe 50-60's at depth. Okoboji has outstanding marine life -- especially around the "towers". The one negative about the lake is that there is significant boat traffic. The state laws require the use of a dive flag. The Okoboji diving community is supported by two dive shops.

--Jason
08-21-2003, 02:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-21-2003, 02:23 PM by Dive_Girl.)
Is it be necessary for me to be in a 7mil or could I go with less exposure protection.? I did talk to one local dive shop who said the water temps were 68-72+ degrees and no thermocline, which sounded odd to me. That kind of water temp is a full 3mil or possible 5mil diving to me. That's why I came here for clarification. Thanks for giving me the info on Jose. I'll PM him!
08-21-2003, 02:48 PM,
I'm sure a 5 mil. would be fine. I dove there last summer in July in a 7 mil. and I felt awfully warm. Even down to 60 feet the water temp was still in the 60's if I remember right.
08-21-2003, 02:50 PM,
If Okobo is anthing like all the other area lakes most of the stuff to see is going to be in less than 25' and then your 3 or 5 mil will work just fine.. you may want to dip below the thermocline for a short time in a 5mil just to cool off some.. I was in a lake a few weeks ago with a 5mil jacket and 3mil pants (apnea suit, so a bit warmer than scuba suit) and it was a pleasure to drop below the thermo for a cool off. The 7mil is going to be overkill unless you're looking at spending mucho time down deep.. where there is a lot less to see.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-21-2003, 03:05 PM,
That sounds good. I was hoping not to have to lug my heavier suit half way across the country, especially with the airlines reducing the limits on free weight. I received a notice with my e-ticket that my weight limit is 50lbs, and a charge would be accessed for weight in excess of that.

50lbs is not much to a scuba diver planning on diving in waters cooler than the Carribbean and toting a camera! How am I to pack clothing!!?? I hope my family doesn't mind seeing me inthe same outfit everyday for a week.... ;D
08-21-2003, 10:23 PM,
Is your family near Okoboji? Depending on the location of your visit, there are many dive options, though Okoboji is probably one of the warmer ones.
Dan L
08-22-2003, 01:58 PM,
My family lives near Sioux Falls South Dakota. In addition to diving, I will also be certifying two people during my visit. Any other local dive site syoucould suggest would be highly welcome!

Any info on required use of dive flags?
08-22-2003, 09:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-22-2003, 09:57 PM by DanL.)
Sioux Falls is only 102 miles and about 2 hrs from Okoboji. That's closer than Minneapolis is to Okoboji. There are other places, but all the ones I know off hand (Wazee in Wisc, the iron mines near Brainerd, the Madiera wreck in Lake Superior) are much longer drives from Sioux Falls.
Mn requires a dive flag for each four divers. Must stay within 50 ft of dive flag. I assume Iowa has similar dive flag law. Okoboji can have a lot of boat traffic, so definitely stick close to your flag.
Have fun,
Dan
Dan L
08-22-2003, 10:09 PM,
Dan, thank you so much for being so helpful. Big Grin