Remember me
Lost Password Register

Still lookin' for more takers...
08-25-2003, 09:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2003, 09:56 PM by freedivernd.)
Still lookin' for more takers...
Did some freediving today... made a lot of trips past -50' and maxed out at -75'. My brother was to -57', very good for a novice, he just figured out how to equalize his ears easily this summer. Nice to have the support along. That's pretty good depths in the dark, cold waters of minnesota. I think the limiting factor for me today was the 1.5mil suit, when I got back to the surface from each dive it was nice to have the warm water. We actually had good vis down to -75 at Lake Six although it was a bit dark down there. A lot to see in the shallows too.
Fred

Attached Files
.jpg   Lake6crappiesatpontoon.jpg (Size: 62.01 KB / Downloads: 82)
.jpg_thumb   Lake6crappiesatpontoon.jpg_thumb (Size: 41.69 KB / Downloads: 0)
Cold and dark down there huh?
08-25-2003, 10:12 PM,
Re:Still lookin' for more takers...
Here's a profile of a short jaunt to -65'. Anyone could do this...easily if you can equalize quickly and efficiently.
Fred

Attached Files
.jpg   diveprofile.jpg (Size: 74.5 KB / Downloads: 82)
.jpg_thumb   diveprofile.jpg_thumb (Size: 8.16 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-26-2003, 06:59 AM,
I got a freind of mine down to 40' two weeks ago in Wazee. It was his first time freedivng, but he's been a scuba instrcutor for a while now, and I think that he's hooked. Wink

We were up there a few weeks ago, with some visiting British divers, and got in a bunch of 105' freedives. The lake gets really churned up inbetween 30' and 70', but clears up nicely below that.

I was thinking about planning a weekend for next summer where we could get all of the freedivers in the midwest up there camping. IF we palnnedit out far enough in advance i think we could get more people to show up. IT would be a good time to introduce new people to the sport. I have a shop that would sponser it, and provide diver support for anyone wanting to go deep.

I was thinking of calling it Freediveapalooza Wink

What do ya' think, Fred?

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   crib_pan_wazee1.jpg (Size: 6.72 KB / Downloads: 88)
.jpg_thumb   crib_pan_wazee1.jpg_thumb (Size: 12.26 KB / Downloads: 0)
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
08-26-2003, 08:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2003, 08:49 AM by freedivernd.)
Sounds like a good plan. Can't say I agree with the name... but what the heck, what's in a name anyway. Smile
edit:I should mention too that I know of a dive shop up here that would give support for some deep attempts too if anyone is interested in that.
Wazee would be a good central location for us to get together.
Fred
08-26-2003, 09:09 AM,
When you say "deep attempts" how deep do you mean? Anything beyond 20 feet seems deep to me, since I really like to breath and can't hold my breath very long. I will probably be moving this winter, but if you set anything up before then, I'ld be interested in going and could be a support diver- after I was prepped on what I need to do for it.

Scott
08-26-2003, 10:42 AM,
Fred,

How much lead time do you think we'd need to set this up?

I was think of posting it on D.B. and the WISCUBA list to generate some interest. I was also thinking about contacting SEBAK to get some demo fins, and monofins Wink, for people to try. Just between you and me we could outfit a few people who want to give it a shot.

I was planning on camping up there the end of October, but I am not sure if people would be interested then. September is just around the corner and I am not sure if we could get the word out in time. If we plan way ahead, like next July, we could really get a good turnout. Maybe we could do a small, practice one, this fall and another, grand one, next summer.

Scott, We could put people down as deep as they need to go. Since the freshwater records are all less than 250' we can cover that with the mix divers that I dive with. If someone wanted to try a sled dive, I don't think Wazee is deep enough and it wouldn't workout. What I was thinking was that we could intrduce it to people and see if we could get them down 50'-60' in a day, Both Fred and I have been able to do that in the past.

Jon
08-26-2003, 11:42 AM,
Scott,
you can hold your breath longer than you think with a little help (someone's hands around your throat, for instance Wink )
so time really isn't a factor in the depths you'd be doing first few times out. I've been to -74' before in only 38 seconds.. I think it was about 38 sec.. although that was much to fast.. the -75 yesterday in near a minute was actually much more comfortable so holding the breath isn't the issue near as much as being able to equalize.
Jon's right on the deep depths.. one thing about deep depths.. the deep depths for me (and I'm sure for Jon, since he's diving a lot) just seem to be getting shallower and shallower all the time. Two weekends ago the deep depth for my brother was around -30'... now he's cruising around the bottom at -30'. Now the -50's is his "deeper depths".
Fred
08-26-2003, 11:55 AM,
Jon,
this fall will be out for me.. I have potato harvest starting in about 3-4 weeks. Next summer would be better.. some issues in July to work around but that could be the better of the months. I travel with enough gear to outfit about 5 divers.. including a bunch of cheap, thin wetsuits of varying sizes and fins of varying sizes and styles. Always hopeful to get a bunch of people going when I pull up to the public accesses. Wink .. plus I got a big family.
I have to try and get in as much diving as possible now before the harvest starts because that month, unless it rains, I can't get away.. after that the diving is done while pushing the freeze up.
we'll consider this starting our homework.. keep in touch via pm's.
Fred
08-26-2003, 06:59 PM,
Fred,

How about you pick a weekend in September when you can make it, otherwise anytime next summer would work. If July is busy, we could do it in August or June. I just wanted the surface water to be warm enough for people to enjoy it if it's their first time trying it. Lake water is cold in the spring and stays nice and warm all fall, even if the air temps drop a bit.

Jon
08-27-2003, 07:08 AM,
this fall will be out for traveling to Wazee Sad ... another season gone by that I didn't get there.. Any of the summer months would tend to work the best. One committment is a family re-union the week of July 10th-18th.
Sorry, but I'm a very poor planner when it comes to advance planning. :Smile
Fred