Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Minnetonka
08-27-2003, 11:45 AM,
Lake Minnetonka
I'm new to diving and have seen a couple of posts about diving in Lake Minnetonka. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the diving conditions; good/bad areas, visibility, etc.
Thanks in advance,
-Chad
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
08-27-2003, 11:51 AM,
Re:Lake Minnetonka
I dove there in June for the Crystal Pierz Marine annual cleanup dive. The water was warm but the viz wasn't very good...maybe 8 feet tops. There's a lot of boat traffic that tends to churn up the bottom. I doubt I'll dive there again unless it's for an event such as the cleanup dive which made it worth it for me.
08-27-2003, 03:08 PM,
Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Is Lake Crosby the closest lake with good visibility? ie: greater then 20 feet.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
08-27-2003, 03:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-27-2003, 03:27 PM by LKunze.)
As far as lakes to dive with good viz. In the twin cities area Square Lake and Perch Lake are your best bets. Both of them can have viz of 20 feet and sometimes more but usually only early in the year shortly after ice out. During the hot summer months the viz goes down.
Also, Crosby isn't actually one lake but rather several lakes that were once mine pits. Everyone just calls the area Crosby I guess. Anyway, there are several lakes to dive up in the Crosby, Ironton, Brainerd area. The dive shop in Brainerd (MSD) has some real good maps of them. Also, Lake Wazee in Wisconsin is another lake that's about the same distance as Crosby. It's in Black River Falls, Wisconsin, approximately a 2.5 hour drive from the twin cities on I-94 East. Hope this helps. Smile