Remember me
Lost Password Register

Solux dive lights
08-27-2003, 11:32 PM,
Solux dive lights
Jason, Lonnie -
The "Dan" dive lights have 50W Solux halogen bulbs.

Just checked the manufacturer. They now have the same specification bulb but in a 35W version. This would still be very white (4700K) and very bright (a little less bright than a 10W HID and the 50W bulbs you now have), but the burn time on your battery packs would easily go to over an hour.
Price is $5.50 per bulb plus shipping. I'm OK with the 50W bulbs, but you can now get 35W if you want.
The source I found sells em by the case of 5, but you can prob find them indivdiually.
Dan L
08-28-2003, 04:44 AM,
Re:Solux dive lights
Thanks for the info Dan. I wouldn't mind giving one a try sometime just to see how they work.
08-28-2003, 10:06 AM,
Dan, where do I buy? I'll probably switch out the bulb. I like the 50W brightness but the burn time is probably more important to me. Lonnie, let me know if you want to go in on some bulbs.
--Jason
08-28-2003, 12:18 PM,
Yeah, sounds good...let's order some up and give them a try. Wink
08-28-2003, 05:39 PM,
Proposal -
I'll order a case of 5, you each take two and I'll take one. Should net out to about $6/bulb with shipping etc.
Go for it???
Dan
Dan L
08-28-2003, 05:42 PM,
Yep...order it up! Wink
08-28-2003, 09:18 PM,
Aye.
--Jason
08-29-2003, 03:08 PM,
Havn't seen the office "Dan" dive light for some time. Wondering if you ever got the parts list and building instructions on paper??? I'd love to build one, but am worried I would just end up with wet pile of junk....

Thanks for any info.......

Also the Solux bulbs sound like a great addition for $6....
Chris Bloss
08-29-2003, 03:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2003, 03:20 PM by LKunze.)
Here's a pic of mine.
Mine is the old prototype model. The newer ones that Dan has built have a threaded screw on cap on the bottom of the canister as opposed to the clips on the top like mine in the picture. Also the new ones have a shorter shaft on the lighthead. I've been pretty happy with the light. It's worked great. The only problem has been the short burn time with the 50 watt bulb. The light has stayed completely dry though on every dive I've done with it so far.
08-29-2003, 10:01 PM,
When things slow down a bit - like after cold weather comes this fall - I'd sponsor a kind of workshop or demo session to show how the light was made if there's interest.
The parts are cheap, except the battery. Given the short burn times with the "old" battery model, I'd only recommend the "new" $80 battery, but that's still cheap compared to "name brand" light batteries, and the whole light could be built for about $150.
There is some machining of plastic parts necessary now, but I'm trying to minimize that and simplify construction methods.
Let me know if there's interest.
Dan L