Remember me
Lost Password Register

Will be visiting MN - should we dive???
04-09-2002, 10:07 AM,
Will be visiting MN - should we dive???
Found this forum and thought I'd ask the experts.  We'll be on vacation in MN in June - never been there before.  We're tagging along with non-diving family to a place they've vacationed at before but I don't much about.  Looking at the map, it looks like we'll be about 175 miles northwest of Minneapolis at a place called Sunset Beach Resort, Battle Lake, about 20 miles east of Fergus Falls.<br><br>Is there any diving nearby we should make a point to do on the trip?  Keep in mind that up until now we've been strictly vacation warm water divers! :Smile<br><br>Any advice appreciated.<br><br>Lucia<br>
04-09-2002, 10:20 AM,
Re: Will be visiting MN - should we dive???
If I have the location right, you could be about 1 hour from a really good dive location called the Crosby Mines which is just north of Brainerd I believe. The water will be much colder than your probably used to, but might be worth it just the same. Some others on the board will probably have more information for you, but here's the address and phone number for The Minnesota School of Diving in that area which can help get you started:<br><br>Minnesota School Of Diving   <br>712 Washington St, Brainerd, MN 56401 <br>Phone: 218-829-5953<br><br>Good luck and let us know how it goes!
04-16-2002, 07:19 PM,
Yes, you should try and dive there. Water temps vary depending on when in june you will be there. Later it is, the warmer it will be. I  did my check out dives in the first week of june in that area (several years ago) and was fine in a full wet suit. Surface temps about 68F. <br><br>I used to live about 30 miles from there and got certified through the dive shop in Detroit Lakes. The owner is a friend of mine and he has a web site. It's Tri-State Diving, phone at 888-728-2236, Gary Thompson.<br><br>There are several good lakes for diving, especially that time of year, before visibilty turns real sour. Gary usually has a regular schedule of local dives and he has good rental equipment. <br><br>I hadn't heard of any diving on Battle Lake, so I'm not sure about visibity, etc. But Detroit Lakes isn't that far. The Crosby-Ironton Mine pits are great, but you really should do that area with someone who has been there before. There is a girl that works at the dive shop in Brainerd named Lori Fellerman who goes out there at least weekly, I'm sure she would be able to get you going if you wanted to try it. I saw the contact info on another post. Have a great visit.<br><br>Mike Wells
04-23-2002, 08:11 AM,
As mentioned in other messages go through the Minnesota School of Diving in Brainerd. <br>They will rent you the cold water suits etc. and they take regularly scheduled trips to the mine pits.<br>I have been to the pits a couple of times and thought it was interesting to be swimming along at 30 Feet down among the underwater trees still standing looming above you. Visibility should be good in June.
Leon
04-24-2002, 04:46 AM,
THANKS . . . . .
;D<br><br>Thanks for the replies - I will follow up as we get closer to our trip!!!
06-04-2002, 12:50 PM,
Well, it's June and I just joined the board here..maybe you're already on vacation.... I dive not far from Battle Lake.  Some of the best lakes for vis are Little McDonald (northeast of Dent.. or about 3 or so miles west of Perham) - Paul Lake is right across the road - The lakes Six and Seven (between Perham and Detroit lakes and west a little ((you'll need a good map))).  These lakes are real close to where you'll be and just diving the boat landings will be pretty good.  You could do the Ottertail River right near where you will be, it's shallow and pretty clear.  I was underwater spearfishing there the first of May, not very good vis at all, but now it could make an interesting drift dive as the last time I was there the vis was a little better.<br><br>Fred Johnson
Cold and dark down there huh?